Napoleonic watercanteen

Moderator: Moderators

Would someone pay £60 for a fully working oak canteen painted in British grey/blue that includes the correct brown leather strap.

Yes
46%
NO
54%

Total votes: 13

Born 2 Late

Napoleonic watercanteen

Post by Born 2 Late »

Hi all,
If this is in the wrong forum please could the moduraters shift it somewhere more approriate.

I am looking to produce the 3 pint water canteen as used by at least the british army throuhout the Napoleonic era.

The question i have is how much would someone pay for a fully working oak canteen painted in British grey/blue that includes the correct brown leather strap.

Matt_D

Post by Matt_D »

We paid not far off this for ours, depends whether they are besswax lined or not. We did this ourselves to make the water drinkable.

Born 2 Late

Post by Born 2 Late »

Hi, Thanks for that. The canteens water would be sutable for drinking, including bees wax linning.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Think I paid around £45 about 7-8 years ago for one such. Made by the guy who supplied the 68th. A very good replica in oak. Must try beeswax as the water still tastes foul after a couple of hours in the canteen.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

We paid £25 for ones made in house by our resident engineer. Leatherwork was in finest bridle leather.
Manpower provided by slave labour (apprentices :D )
Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org