Edwardian reenactment mens fashions

Moderator: Moderators

johncas

Edwardian reenactment mens fashions

Post by johncas »

Im going to a few Edwardian events this one one at the tramway museum and one at the great central railway

Just wanted to check what an wealthy Edwardian gentlemen ( Mr Selfirdge type of guy ) would of worn I have a wardrobe full of stuff gut most is Victorian some Edwardian

I have one Frock coat a few waistcoats all with collars I also have a striped waistcoat and boating blazer with straw boater hat and im looking at getting a morning tailcoat seen one going cheap

The frock coat I have is late Victorian but they had them in Edwardian times so what hat would I need to wear with it
I have a bowler hat and an top hat but it's a tall stovepipe one which Is rearly only Victorian era so would I need to get a Edwardian style one which is not to tall

Also what neckware was worn do I need a cravat bow tie or a normal black tie I have all of those but need to make sure I wear the right one

Seen Mr Selfridge and Ripper street which are set in the era so have some ideas but thought there might be someone on here who dose Edwardian reenactment regularly as im new to Edwardian I normally do WW2 events

czartank

Re: Edwardian reenactment mens fashions

Post by czartank »

If you are going to the one at the tramway, you should not be too fussy; a lot of MOPs turn up in outfits made out of artificial fabrics and last year a bunch of rather naff steampunks turned up.
On les Aura

johncas

Post by johncas »

I went there last year to see what it was like I did dress up frock coat bowler hat waistcoat gloves etc.

I want to look authentic just like a wealthy Edwardian gent would of looked but want to get it right thats why I was asking for advice

Also what era was stovepipe top hats worn from I know victorians had them but when did they go out of fashion

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

Hm, we've been asked to go along to this one...but then someone mentioned the S**eamp*nk word and now we're thinking if to bother!

Pinterest is a great source...be careful of mixing court wear and casual attire, so a straw boater is a no with a morning suit/tailcoat.

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q ... 20menswear

K

czartank

Post by czartank »

Do it, it is great fun and most people put in the effort to get it right: The Steampunks were a minor nuisance: I rate it as a very relaxing event, a fine antidote to the Kelmarshes of this world.
On les Aura

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

We might pop along, young sir has a sailor suit to try out and loves trains. Any trading stalls?

K

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

As one of the "rather naff steampunks" we didn't pretend that we could do a proper Edwardian getup so wore outfits that obviously weren't trying to be. We also just wear those as clothes, not costume!

:)

czartank

Post by czartank »

Hi Kate,
no traders, I am afraid,. but there is a shop, a cafe and a rather nice pub.
On les Aura

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

That'll do us!

K

johncas

Post by johncas »

I volunteer at the GCR It's the first time the Great Central Railway have done an Edwardian weekend they do do a WW2 weekend which is one of the best so should be a good event and no steampnk well at least not at my station as I wont let them in as re-enactors they will have to pay

I don't know if there will be any traders but the GCR do have stalls at the WW2 weekend there are cafes at all the stations hot food as well and the trains have a buffet car there is a bar at Loughborough to I will be there as an re-enactor on Saturday and volunteering on the Sunday with a new event you don't know what it's going to be like.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

I used to help out at the WW2 event but it all went a bit fancy dress. Christine has been in touch and asked if we'd go but we don't know much more.

Is Quorn going to be the main station?

K

czartank

Post by czartank »

I actually think they should do a Steampunk event- I suspect it would be popular
On les Aura

johncas

Post by johncas »

At the moment I don't know if Quorn or Rothley will be the main station but in a few years there is a big railway museum opening at Leicester North station so that station will become the main area I surpose

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Seen Mr Selfridge and Ripper street which are set in the era
Those are tv programmes, and no matter how much the costume designers bleat on about how real stuff is, they shouldn't be used for primary research. Anyone who knows anything about late 19th cent fashion winces at Ripper Street. Love the programme but my offensive historical fact filters come down as the credits start. Plenty of decent boks and museum collections to look at and by that time plenty of pattern books and tailors manuals to copy.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.