Real anorak question on German WWII field gear

Moderator: Moderators

steve stanley
Post Knight

Real anorak question on German WWII field gear

Postby steve stanley » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:28 pm

I know...It's a reenactor thing,spend a day watching "Downfall",& "Stalingrad" & a minor practical thing starts to bug you.....
OK....the A-Frame that holds mess tin & shelter quarter,As I understand,it hooks onto the y-straps at the top,and additional straps hook on at the bottom which are then secured to the front braces(with me so far?)...question is,without being double-jointed,how do you access the kit stored on it? Wouldn't have thought it was easy to get on or off without help or taking the whole belt/Y-strap off.....
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Panzerman

Postby Panzerman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:16 am

In a oner Steve - You don't!
The Assault pack is designed to carry your mess tin, spare clothes, (socks and underwear plus a shirt), zeltbahn and blanket. Rifle cleaning kit and sometimes gas mask tin. To take it off, you unhook your Y straps at the reaar and then from your ammo pouches or belt at the front. Take it off like a rucksack......
You also can remove equipment using the buddy system....

From recent practical useage (two 36 hour tactical events where we took everything into the field that we required) The A Frame was supplemented by a rucksack...... This has the same hook arrangement but then has ingenious fitments to place the A frame OVER that. The rucksack is dismounted using the same method and is very easy to use.
Mess tins contain food, A frame bag contains food. Rucksack contains spare water, ammo, dry clothes, matches, stove more food, more ammo, socks, wash kit etc. Gas mask tin contains anything you don't want to get wet or broken- ranging from fags and matches to schnappes........
A frame is usuall carried into combat as a compact way fo carrying kit quietly and the rucksack is dropped off to the rear. If you need to move quickly the A frame can be quickly dropped too.... leaving you to fight using belt, ammo pouches, breadbag (usually full of ammo and a bit of - you guessed it food!) and a water bottle..... This is why you see lots of photos of troops only wearing light belt order at TOO such as Kursk and Normandie.....

Panz - Forum sniper - infiltrate - one shot - exfiltrate....

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:53 am

Danke schon!
That's pretty much what I suspected....seen photos of the A-frame/rucksack combo....damn clever!
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Return to “1900 onwards”