Hotchkiss LMG

Moderator: Moderators

STEENIE

Hotchkiss LMG

Post by STEENIE »

Who has a Hotchkiss LMG?
We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

Optio

Re: Hotchkiss LMG

Post by Optio »

French types allegedly, if you look hard enough you may be able to find one thats only been dropped once. Rare on the de act scene for sure, only seen one, and it was overpriced for what it was, and that was at least 2 years ago.

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

I am looking for the Cavalry Portative like this one:
Attachments
hotchkiss2.jpg
We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

One of the reasons for the need of a Portative is the instant known amount of the size of the Unit to go with it. A Unit that is well within our capability be at full strength Also, it gives us the ability to cover our flanks and lay down fire when manouvering the main body of cavalry, or to set up a bridgehead when crossing a river.

Here is a photograph of a full Hotchkiss portative machine gun section. You can see the pack animal in the middle carrying the lmg and the other paraphenalia to use it:
Attachments
hotchkissmachinegunsection.jpg

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Here is a close up of the Hotchkiss packed onto the pack horse:
Attachments
hotchkiss.jpg

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

Steenie, you'll struggle to find one in the correct set up for cavalry. Most about at the moment are set up for tank use, with the short tripod and L-shaped metal butt, rather than the long bipod and the wooden butt. I've never seen one in the correct cavalry set-up in the flesh, for sale or otherwise. IMA offer a parts kit for the tank version, and the display version of the same:

http://www.ima-usa.com/british-303cal-p ... g-wwi.html

http://www.ima-usa.com/british-303cal-p ... issue.html
"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Lord Byron,

We have an ima usa hotchkiss. I was looking for something which will take us the next step. Or am I just greedy :D

Joolz

Post by Joolz »

Is it just the butt & bipod that's different? Could you not just source those? If there were dimensional drawings available, making a wooden butt is not a huge task for any competent stock maker, particularly one as simple in form as this one looks to be.The bipod would be a different matter.....

Just my 2p worth, original parts are a better solution, but sometimes they are just not available for love nor money!

See this for someone who has done a conversion:

http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/view ... 17&t=10087

Joolz
Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Joolz,

That is an option, but I was just hoping someone had a party frock with no party to go to :D

Here is aother link which I think is showing the same weapon on the military horse site but in more detail. Also with a firing sequence:

http://weaponsonline.proboards.com/inde ... 336&page=1

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

Joolz wrote:Is it just the butt & bipod that's different? Could you not just source those? If there were dimensional drawings available, making a wooden butt is not a huge task for any competent stock maker, particularly one as simple in form as this one looks to be.The bipod would be a different matter.....

Just my 2p worth, original parts are a better solution, but sometimes they are just not available for love nor money!

See this for someone who has done a conversion:

http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/view ... 17&t=10087
STEENIE wrote:
That is an option, but I was just hoping someone had a party frock with no party to go to :D

Here is aother link which I think is showing the same weapon on the military horse site but in more detail. Also with a firing sequence:

http://weaponsonline.proboards.com/inde ... 336&page=1
It is the same gun in both links. Original spares of the wooden butt and bipod just don't turn up, mostly because by the mid/late war period they were being largely superceded by the Lewis on the ground, and the fact they worked reasonably well in the confines of a tank ensured their use for at least a little longer (hence most/all survivors are in this configuration).

With the .303 guns, there are some slight variations between the different marks, but as far as I'm aware that is purely to do with the different feeding capabilities introduced later, as mentioned in the thread Steenie linked, and would allow the conversion (and reconversion if desired) to be done without modification to the gun itself. It would require a spare trigger guard assembly to mount the wood to (as Woodsy did), and in theory the Pattern Room should also carry the information to make a bipod from.
"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Here is a portative being used as 'archie'. You can make out the folded bipod.
Attachments
cavalrymanfiringhotchkissflak.jpg
cavalrymanfiringhotchkissflak.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 6792 times

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

i do so prefer the stories of the american cavalry not being able to work out how to use their benet mercie machine rifles during the raid on Villistas.

typical cavalry i suppose, being given a weapon that the horse couldn't help them use

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Andy,

Tell me, what would you know of cavalry?

Indeed, if you have a knowledge of it, tell me about what you have done. I am very interested.

the real lord duvet

STEENIE wrote:Andy,

Tell me, what would you know of cavalry?

well.......

having met some real ones that sat in tanks being shot at by people wearing towel on the heads.

and having a close friend who was left sitting on his horse in hyde park even though all his mates and the others horses were spread over the road.

its not just glorified dressage is it, riding around pontificating about how him and his mates are doing it right?

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

You tell me if it is doing it right or not.

Afteral it must be so real to have a friend.

Tell me about you though. Tell me about what you do in reenactment. I am always interested

the real lord duvet

STEENIE wrote:You tell me if it is doing it right or not.

Afteral it must be so real to have a friend.

Tell me about you though. Tell me about what you do in reenactment. I am always interested

you first. was i wrong about the us cavalry not understanding how to use their benet mercies then?

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

haven't a clue.

OK, I will add to that. I have precious little interest in what other Countries Cavalry were doing unless it impinged directly on the happenings of HM Cav. As such such trivia as what the Americans thought of their LMG is not something I would think of interest.

Now back to you. What do you do in reenactment?
Last edited by STEENIE on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the real lord duvet

STEENIE wrote:haven't a clue.
oddly as a gun enthusiat it was the first thing i learnt about the hotchkiss was that in american use (in 30-06) in was infamous for being issued to the us cavalry during the mexican wars. the most famous use being during an attack where the us cavalry had 4 of them but couldn't work out how to load them.

as the president of the international cavalry association i thought you knew everything? do you have a website?

so which troop of donkeywhallopers did you serve in?

i'm a troll. but i also tow shitlorries out of mud. do health & safety briefings, sell tickets and appear in multimillion pound blockbuster movies
Last edited by the real lord duvet on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

I am sorry. Whilst you were posting I was editing. Nonetheless, my question still stands.

What do you do in reenactment ?

the real lord duvet

STEENIE wrote:I am sorry. Whilst you were posting I was editing. Nonetheless, my question still stands.

What do you do in reenactment ?

i'm sorry whilst you was editing i was posting.

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

I know what a troll is :devil: I have been one for years. The only difference is, as a troll I used to count my succes by how many chat rooms I could get kicked out of in a night, whereas you? you have so many posts, it must mean you are a kitten, as a true troll is not bothered about staying.

As for me being the President of ILCA, I cannot say where I have said that on this site. Maybe you can refresh my memory?

What do you do in reenactment or are you ashamed to say?

the real lord duvet

STEENIE wrote:I know what a troll is :devil: I have been one for years. The only difference is, as a troll I used to count my succes by how many chat rooms I could get kicked out of in a night, whereas you? you have so many posts, it must mean you are a kitten, as a true troll is not bothered about staying.

As for me being the President of ILCA, I cannot say where I have said that on this site. Maybe you can refresh my memory?

What do you do in reenactment or are you ashamed to say?

i said what i do ....... lots of work.
sometimes i dress up too, hit people, fire guns, drink/have a laugh. outside of reenactment I fight against facism, racism, and all other of the evils.
what do you do outside of reenactment/horse bothering?

The ILCA - didn't you mention it here. i've read about on so many other forums, together with the event in Poznan that all the posts seem to merge into one.
so which troop of donkeywhallopers were you in then?

and the true genius of a troll is one that doesn't go far enough to get themselves banned. anyone can be offensive in the open it takes true genius to do it in such a way that no one can complain

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

So what do you do in reenactment. I cannot see why you are so vague. You told me on another thread that everyone knew you. Indeed you made out you knew me, but as you are asking me so many questions that makes me wonder. Why do you find it so difficult to tell me what you do in reenactment?

Oh, and where did I say I was the Boss of ILCA? or did you make that up?

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Do you fund trouble typing? You are so slow.

the real lord duvet

and i've told you.............

wasn't at all vague. i work. wearing a variety of costumes, a sort of willow the wisp, here, there, everywhere.

sometimes in khaki, sometimes in wool,

so which troop of donkeywallopers did you wish you'd been fit enough to join?

i guess you didn't have either the breeding, money or social status to be in the household cavalry.

trouble typing - actually I do. do you find that funny?

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

yes

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

So for some reason you don't want to say what you do in reenactment when so many people know, according to you, what you do.

Why is that?

the real lord duvet

that's interesting.

you know what i find funny?

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

I am sure it is something that is jaundiced and unpleasant lol

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

I am sure you will tell me in the end
Last edited by STEENIE on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.