"Modern" firearms

Moderator: Moderators

knirirr

"Modern" firearms

Post by knirirr »

Hopefully no-one minds such a question, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me to some guidance on the use of firearms for 20th century periods, e.g the world wars. I'm familiar with the requirements for black powder periods (mostly having done Napoleonic for a few years) but not later ones. For example, I would be interested to know what options might be available for someone wishing to portray a WWI or WWII rifleman in terms of available weapons and the legal requirements for their possession.

Thanks in advance for any info.

czartank

Re: "Modern" firearms

Post by czartank »

It all depends if you are using live firearms or not: Using deacts for display, you need to keep the Deactivation certificate close to hand.

If you are using live firers; it will all depend on whether the gun is rifled or has been converted to a shotgun: If the former, you will need a Firearms Certificate; if the latter a shotgun certificate.

In either case you will need to prove membership of a bone fide re-enactment group; although it is a lot easier with a shotgun than a firearm

Hope this helps
On les Aura

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

VCRA, theres been many threads about it already here and elsewhere.

Which side do you want to be.
Which war?

Need to pick the right gun, only SMLE or moisin used in both?

knirirr

Post by knirirr »

the real lord duvet wrote:VCRA, theres been many threads about it already here and elsewhere.
I always search before asking for advice, but was not able to find anything.
Czartank's information is the sort of thing I was after, and it appears from discussion elsewhere that for the era that interests me (WWI) I will probably have to make use of a de-activated weapon or a replica, due to a difficulty in obtaining blanks.

the real lord duvet

there's not much difficulty obtaining blanks for most calibre's if you are in a group that needs them.

Suggest looking at http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk for a more gun centred forum for advice in firearms though.

You might have to belong to a group to buy some replicas

czartank

Post by czartank »

Most calibres of blanks are available; although they can be of variable quality: What sort of gun are you after?
On les Aura

knirirr

Post by knirirr »

czartank wrote:Most calibres of blanks are available; although they can be of variable quality: What sort of gun are you after?
Unfortunately I'd need a Lebel, which I have heard are difficult to find ammunition for, as well as being difficult to find and rather expensive.

the real lord duvet

i have a rfd who could convert it to something other than a stupid french calibre.

I've seen live firing ones. Know people that target shoot all sorts arikas, berthiers, schmitt-rubins

Some of whichare on the obsolete calibre list.

Suggest have a shufty over some target shooting forums? Look through gunmart?

For post 1900, this forum is not a good reference tool. There's people who reenact french or belgian or greek or whatever on the wwii forum.

I'm trying to say your sim'ly asking the wrong people?

knirirr

Post by knirirr »

the real lord duvet wrote:i have a rfd who could convert it to something other than a stupid french calibre.
That is an interesting thought - I had not considered conversion.
I'll have to investigate further as you suggest, as well as determining from my local firearms officer what steps I would have to undertake to "upgrade" from my shotgun certificate.

czartank

Post by czartank »

Lebels are like hens teeth and finding a live firing one would be even more difficult; Haven't looked at the WW2 forum in ages, but it might be worth a shot.

It might also be worth asking on the WW1 forum
On les Aura

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

The WWII link occupied me for ages....'tho I'm mainly interested in FFL..........
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Swiper

Post by Swiper »

We will be launching a new series of gas firing RIFs later this year, with a focus on WW1 and WW2 rifles (to start at least) - drop me a PM if you are interested... tend to avoid the problems of the live firers with blank rounds/deacts being just glorified paper weights really.

czartank

Post by czartank »

Deacts are extremely useful in static displays and show and tells as you cannot allow the public to handle live firers- always prefer the latter 'though
On les Aura

knirirr

Post by knirirr »

czartank wrote: It might also be worth asking on the WW1 forum
I'm on there now and pursuing a lead for a dummy repro Lebel. When I posted here I wasn't familiar with that forum, but a WWI re-enactor friend pointed me in the right direction.
A dummy is certainly useful for showing to the crowd &c. but it would be very useful to have something capable of firing.

abaddon1974

Post by abaddon1974 »

Could someone post a link to the WW1 forum please?

Craig

knirirr

Post by knirirr »

abaddon1974 wrote:Could someone post a link to the WW1 forum please?

Craig

No problem, it's http://europeanww1lh.forumup.be/.

the real lord duvet

czartank wrote:Deacts are extremely useful in static displays and show and tells as you cannot allow the public to handle live firers- always prefer the latter 'though
Why 'CAN'T' you? If the ticket holder supervises.

There's no legislative reason. You wouldn't let the public near a loaded gun obviously. Blank or live. Although why would you have live ammo?

But a lot of periods, everything prior to 1900 don't have deacts.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

the real lord duvet wrote:
czartank wrote:Deacts are extremely useful in static displays and show and tells as you cannot allow the public to handle live firers- always prefer the latter 'though

There's no legislative reason. You wouldn't let the public near a loaded gun obviously. Blank or live. Although why would you have live ammo?

The whole 'supervision' thing is much misunderstood.......Basically it applies to people on their OWN LAND......It cannot be use for MOP's...OR for trainee musketeers etc...They must be licensed to hold a firearm.......
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

czartank

Post by czartank »

Thanks for that Steve, sorry I have been out of the country and unable to reply.

Just attended an event in Romania, where safety standards had to be seen to be believed:

Drunken re-enactors letting MOPs fire rifles, a cannon being fired with the public standing 10 feet in front of it, and rifles being loaded whilst being pointed at MOPs and yours truly- but a lot of fun
On les Aura

SergeantAdy

Post by SergeantAdy »

Actually, I have both a de-activated 3-band percussion Enfield, and a non-firing repro Sharps Breech-loader, both for ACW.

I dont fire anything on the field, other than my blank-firing Colt Navy revolver being a signalman, and the public (Especially the kids) love being able to handle the de-acs
Ady

the real lord duvet

steve stanley wrote:

The whole 'supervision' thing is much misunderstood.......Basically it applies to people on their OWN LAND......It cannot be use for MOP's...OR for trainee musketeers etc...They must be licensed to hold a firearm.......
steve

its not necessary their OWN land - just land that the landowner has given permission to fire over. and the term "fire over" infers using live ammo. course no one is suggesting we let MOPs fire the guns. (although a group was doing that at detling)