Passchendaele film

Moderator: Moderators

The Meenister

Passchendaele film

Post by The Meenister »

There was a Canadian film about Passchendaele coming out it was advertised in skirmish mag. I take it I've missed it, maybe it didn't come to Aberdeen. Cant even see it on Dvd.
Musteteer and minister with Frasers Dragoones SK, lowlander with Lace Wars, mercenary with Thirty Years War artillery unit Hortus Bellicus. Been in re-enactment since 1986 which allows me to indulge my fetish for uniforms and facial hair.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

No British release as yet-we're thinking straight to DVD or TV mini-series here.

Looking forward to it myself.

Kate

The Meenister

Post by The Meenister »

Thanks for the info Kate, so At least I havn't missed it but typical a history film doesn't come out in the cinama.
I'm looking forward to seeing it to.
Ian
Musteteer and minister with Frasers Dragoones SK, lowlander with Lace Wars, mercenary with Thirty Years War artillery unit Hortus Bellicus. Been in re-enactment since 1986 which allows me to indulge my fetish for uniforms and facial hair.

STEENIE

Re: Passchendaele film

Post by STEENIE »

Both my Grandads were at Paschendaele. So I was hoping to see and hear something about the battle, some background, some actual fighting that could be related to the actual battle. What I got, was a lot of nothing to do with the campaign of battle. There was a lot of rain but that wasn't something exlcusive to 3rd Ypres. A lot about the supposed bigotry of Canada, a very 2 dimensional villain and a lot of romantic crap about some nurse, who,at one minute was being run down as a a hun then next at the front and giving a guy a knee trembler. Oh and right at the end, we get a Canadian Officer who tells us the whole thing was at the village of Paschendeale because we have had no clue so far. In my opion, it is a load of self centred twaddle and therefore dissapointing.
We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Beneath Hill 60.

That's what you want to get...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1418646/
"We know what the world thinks of us...but, every now and then, when trouble comes knocking at the door, we're good people to know." Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

Passchendaele was not as bad as everyone made out...and if you're ever in the town itself can reccomend the deli around the corner from the main square..the best cake and pastries ever..(well, in the Flanders region!)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Passchendaele was not as bad as everyone made out
presume you mean the film...and not the actual Battle. Which as I recall wasn't entirely pleasant.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

Mark Griffin wrote:
Passchendaele was not as bad as everyone made out
presume you mean the film...and not the actual Battle. Which as I recall wasn't entirely pleasant.
:lol: Very Funny!, your comment that is not the battle :lol:

As for the film it was diabolically bad!! :devil:
We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

The film (lol, blimey my last statement sounded harsh!) was not as awful as some I've seen.

At least the CAMC nursing kit was decent, but I do hate how they slot love stories into an otherwise good yarn.
:sick:

Couldn't believe as I sat with my son in Passchendaele in September in glorious sunshine having a picnic and watching a wedding at the church that it had been the site of such horrific fighting. Without even looking I stopped on the roadside to check my bike tyres and found a bullet just on the surface.
K

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Code: Select all

but I do hate how they slot love stories into an otherwise good yarn
Case in point 'The Red baron'. Excellent work, bit of a fudged story but was pretty good. TThen they had to squeeze in the love bit with the nurse. Sighh... I mean i like Lena Heady. But give me more planes please. Oh and strafing ground troops?

Er.... how does that work then?
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

STEENIE

Post by STEENIE »

I thought my Grand-dad was gassed at Paeschendale, if I had known you could get knee tremblers by the back of the trench then maybe it wasn't so bad. I don't mind if the romance content has some documentary fact, or atleast is believable, but this was so ridiculous even my 11 year old son was saying, 'when do we get back to the fighting?' it was also a bit difficult to explain to him why these 2 were grunting and thrusting away at each other, in an old building with the rain running down their faces. :o

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

Bit disrespectful I thought.

I don't have high hopes for the Elsie and Mhairi film coming out later this year either. No doubt they'll forget the amazing work the did and make one of them a lesbian or involved in some sordid affair, even when the truth was far more interesting..... :o

K

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

The Meenister wrote:There was a Canadian film about Passchendaele coming out it was advertised in skirmish mag. I take it I've missed it, maybe it didn't come to Aberdeen. Cant even see it on Dvd.
If its the one Iam thinking of I've listed one on EBAY Lat wekk mint still in cellophane
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

also a bit difficult to explain to him why these 2 were grunting and thrusting away at each other
my thoughts about Enemy at the Gates too.

No matter how pretty Rachel Weisz (or Jude Law if you like that kind of thing) they would be a bit ewwwww after several months fighting the naaaasties. Or do and olfactory senses switch off when yiu are that desperate (ly in love) and about to throw yourself into the the fray and certain doom?

I'm just setting up the Estaminet vignette for Kelmarsh and I'm getting the kind of 'have a bath first' feeling from the records I'm reading. Mind you, one squaddie basically says his one had cheap champagne, pretty fake flowers, coloured lights and a plump and compliant owners daughter who was not that fussy so he was happy.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

Can't wait to see that at Kelmarsh. Would rather be doing ww1 but am doing something ww2 and obscure!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

Mark Griffin wrote: I'm just setting up the Estaminet vignette for Kelmarsh and I'm getting the kind of 'have a bath first' feeling from the records I'm reading. Mind you, one squaddie basically says his one had cheap champagne, pretty fake flowers, coloured lights and a plump and compliant owners daughter who was not that fussy so he was happy.
Sounds interesting, will it be staffed by a genuine Mademoiselle from Armentieres? :twisted: "Inky pinky parlez vous..." :thumbup:
"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

no, she's from near Kings Lynn

Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Mark Griffin wrote:
also a bit difficult to explain to him why these 2 were grunting and thrusting away at each other

No matter how pretty Rachel Weisz (or Jude Law if you like that kind of thing) they would be a bit ewwwww after several months fighting the naaaasties. Or do and olfactory senses switch off when yiu are that desperate (ly in love) and about to throw yourself into the the fray and certain doom?

I'm just setting up the Estaminet vignette for Kelmarsh and I'm getting the kind of 'have a bath first' feeling from the records I'm reading. Mind you, one squaddie basically says his one had cheap champagne, pretty fake flowers, coloured lights and a plump and compliant owners daughter who was not that fussy so he was happy.
Please do tell more about KELMARSH as our group is Great War. So far EH have not told us which other Great war groups are attending, what is happening apart from turn up and there'll be somewhere to put out tents up, let alone if they'll be able to cover any costs incurred, or if there is any theme. What they hell, it's KELMARSH, it'll be hot and the beer will be cold.

www.thewarwicks1418.com

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

Sasha wrote:Beneath Hill 60.

That's what you want to get...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1418646/

can recommend the above

Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Mark Griffin wrote:

I believe it's a couple of minutes before your brain stops informing you of a smell if it's just there without any change. Happy to be corrected though. :wink:

Otherwise Enema at the Gates is a pile of shite. Nice sets though.....
"We know what the world thinks of us...but, every now and then, when trouble comes knocking at the door, we're good people to know." Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst

The Voyer

Post by The Voyer »

The film in question is called "Passchendaele" Picked up a copy at tesco a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad film. Bonus materiel good too
The lunatic is in the room

There is no word in the English language that adequately describes the intensity of the f**k that I do not give