Buttons with swastika inside

Moderator: Moderators

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Buttons with swastika inside

Postby frances » Sun May 04, 2008 9:04 pm

I have a set of buttons with the swastika motif.

There are about 9 of them, yellow transluscent 'plastic', rounded top with the motif inside the plastic.

(Of course now I want them they are nowhere to be found around the computer so the description is a bit vague, I'm afraid)

I presume they are WWII. Does anyone know where they might have been used?

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sun May 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Possibly not WW2, I have a number of 1900s-1920s magazines (British) and even some paper luggage labels that show the Swastika.
Then, more happily a sign of good luck and prosperity-before old Adolf and his nutters got hold of it.
I have even seen baby rattles and the lace trim on a wedding dress carrying the motif.
K

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm

As said, the swastika was a quite common symbol of good luck - comes from runic pictographs originally.

Was also the first symbol of the boy scout movement (they changed it after hitler & co subverted it).

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Tue May 20, 2008 8:12 pm

That information is interesting. Thanks. Even so it makes one shudder to think that swastikas could adorn a wedding dress.

If it was a Hitler relic I was loath to put them up for sale. I knew that they could be an earlier symbol of good luck, but did not have the details. I will now put them up on my website for sale in the Big Button Shop; when I find them again, that is.

Flesh&Blood

Postby Flesh&Blood » Tue May 20, 2008 9:25 pm

A friend of mine has a fantastic chest of drawers, lovely workmanship, beautifully jointed throughout, but it has got the nice brass edgings on all of the corners, and right in the middle of them is a swastika, as this item came back with his grandparents from India in the 20's we can only summise that it has importance in that region to as a symbol.

Ian Harbottle

Postby Ian Harbottle » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 pm

The swastika is used in buddhism as a sign of good luck and the symbol to indicate a temple and has been used for about 2300 years in that capacity. You'll find it adorning religious buildings all over India and south east Asia.

Ian Harbottle

Postby Ian Harbottle » Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Just to add, its not exactly the same but a mirror image and sits on a flat side looking like an open square rather than a diamond of the Nazis.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 21, 2008 12:10 am

From memeory (the book is upstairs and I can't be bothered to go and get it :wink: ) the one the nazis used was the runic one - from one of the northern germanic countries.

probably why the nazis used it - (germanic symbolism - going back to the true arian race (etc, etc)) though they could just as easily have picked any other of the pictographs. Imagine what would have happened to valentine's day if they'd picked the heart...

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:44 am

Valle Crucis Abbey has loads of swastika masons marks -- all 'back to front' by Hitler standards. dating from Late Saxon / early Norman.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Uses of swastikas - Late Roman military soft kit (referenced from wall painitngs/mosaics and brooches from Eastern empire sites, Anglo saxon pottery stamps, I have some Kipling books which have swastikas on the cover design (inherited from my grandad's collection from pre-WWII) and the Escadrille Lafayette which was a squadron of American airmen in the WWI French Aire Force had a swastika ornament as part of their Indian Head (war bonnetted native American) insignia.

I ran an early pottery workshop a few years back and a Chinese chap carefully decorated his thumb pot with the swastika stamp (copied from the Anglo Saxon ones).

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Return to “1900 onwards”