Campaign of La Boissière-Ecole 1815 - 3/4 Sept 2011

Moderator: Moderators

Marc Middleton

Campaign of La Boissière-Ecole 1815 - 3/4 Sept 2011

Postby Marc Middleton » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Campaign of La Boissière-Ecole 1815
(3-4 September 2011)

Location: The village of La Boissière-École is situated 17km west of RAMBOUILLET near Paris, on the edge of a huge forest.

Camp: The French will have a traditional camp but there will also be a living-history campaign section representing the 248th Military Detachement that will be living the event as the Allies. That is to say making shelters and bivouacing in 2 different locations on Friday and Saturday night, on the other side of the forest of Mauzaise.

Battlefields: In the surrounding countryside and forests.

Authenticity: In accordance with the French Living History Charter and specific event rules of participation and rules of engagement (available in French and in English on request)

Scenario: 1815, after the battle of Waterloo, the French army is in route and the reservesaround Paris are organised for the purpose of defending the capital from the Allied advance.

The 248th Military Detachment, a composite unit made up of various drafts from different regiments, is stationed at the village of La Boissière-Ecole when it learns that an advanced guard of Allied troops are closing in on their position.

The 248th MD’s mission is to evaluate and, if possible, stop the progress of this enemy troop.

The Allied Advanced Guard meanwhile have instructions to seek out and destroy any resistance to the advancing allied armies and pacify the area.

The return of a successfully Napoleonic tactical immersion weekend...In 2010, we had roughly 100 participants (including 18 cavalry)

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Campaign of La Boissière-Ecole 1815 - 3/4 Sept 2011

Postby John Waller » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:16 pm

I'll mention it to the lads at drill on Sunday. Might help give a push to our post 1812 kit project. That is, get me moving on turning that pile of felt hoods in the corner of my living room into belgic caps :)

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Sounds good John, we too, are going Belgic in 2013. Luckily the rest of our kit is staying the same, so its a small job compared to yours. Looking forward to LBE 2011 already.
Marc, whats the chance of coming out a bit earlier to bivouac- perhaps tuesday/wednesday?

Marc Middleton

Postby Marc Middleton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:42 pm

The likelyhood is quite good actually...I can probably organise something for you.
Might also be a good idea to take the Monday off. It will save people rushing on Sunday afternoon.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I agree - rushing back this time was a bit too much of an *rse ache..!!

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Havercake Lad

Postby Havercake Lad » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Thirty-Third Regt of Foot should be attending again . Hopefully with double figures of red coats.
John

Scum of the earth.

Marc Middleton

Postby Marc Middleton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:03 am

And I'm very happy to have the 33rd back!

And I'm keeping figures crossed for your lot, John!

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:17 pm

wurzul wrote:Sounds good John, we too, are going Belgic in 2013.

Wurzul. How are you going about fitting out with belgics? Buying in or making in-house. Happy to swap tips, suppliers etc.
My 3rd effort nearly finished. Am getting better but boy does the hand stiching hurt my fingers! Anyone know where I can get a man-sized thimble?

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:57 am

Hi John,
Well, our member who makes the 1806 caps may not be able to manufacture our 1811s at the rate we need 'em owing to real life commitments, so
a couple of our lot ordered testers from some manufacturers. My tester was intended to be from Craig Armstrong of the 33rd. Nice chap, very passionate and informative, great-looking stuff but no cap yet. I'll check with the other guys who they are using for testers. I'm also being put under a little pressure to justify my position vis-a-vis the 95th and belgics, so I've almost finished an article on the subject which I will make available to JSAHR etc. Heres part of the opening statement,
I contend that this cap was issued to both the light infantry and the Rifles. Since there is no order extant excluding the light bobs from the issue, the default position ought to be that they were not exempted and I have attempted to demonstrate this through examining specifically the Rifles.
I show below that the commonly held view that the Light Infantry and Rifles were excepted from this issue and instead, clung to the 1806 cap, has very little or no foundation. First I trace the genesis of this idea, there I examine its source, and the views of the author on his own theory, and examine his evidence in entirety. I then present evidence that firstly, no extent order supports this view, and that the clear intimation is that the entire infantry changed caps. I then introduce evidence to support the change of caps in the Light Infantry and Rifle regiments from memorialists, letters, and contemporary images.

As usual when assaulting an entrenched position, I have to deploy at least three times the weight of evidence against the rather flimsy construct I am opposing, but I hope I make an interesting case.
How are your caps coming along, interested in any tips or sources?! Are you going for falls? Inside or out? Tuft covers?

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 pm

wurzul wrote:Hi John,
Well, our member who makes the 1806 caps may not be able to manufacture our 1811s at the rate we need 'em owing to real life commitments, so
a couple of our lot ordered testers from some manufacturers. My tester was intended to be from Craig Armstrong of the 33rd. Nice chap, very passionate and informative, great-looking stuff but no cap yet. I'll check with the other guys who they are using for testers. I'm also being put under a little pressure to justify my position vis-a-vis the 95th and belgics, so I've almost finished an article on the subject which I will make available to JSAHR etc. Heres part of the opening statement,
I contend that this cap was issued to both the light infantry and the Rifles. Since there is no order extant excluding the light bobs from the issue, the default position ought to be that they were not exempted and I have attempted to demonstrate this through examining specifically the Rifles.
I show below that the commonly held view that the Light Infantry and Rifles were excepted from this issue and instead, clung to the 1806 cap, has very little or no foundation. First I trace the genesis of this idea, there I examine its source, and the views of the author on his own theory, and examine his evidence in entirety. I then present evidence that firstly, no extent order supports this view, and that the clear intimation is that the entire infantry changed caps. I then introduce evidence to support the change of caps in the Light Infantry and Rifle regiments from memorialists, letters, and contemporary images.

As usual when assaulting an entrenched position, I have to deploy at least three times the weight of evidence against the rather flimsy construct I am opposing, but I hope I make an interesting case.
How are your caps coming along, interested in any tips or sources?! Are you going for falls? Inside or out? Tuft covers?

I look forward to seeing your article. I recall reading somewhere that the idea that the 28th retained stovepipes to 1815 could only be traced back to the 1930s. So much 'fact' seems to be recycled from secondary sources.

As for my caps. I'm still learning. Nearly finished the third one as a light coy cap. I have hoods for another 15 siting in a pile in the corner of the living room. They are not difficult to make but are quite labour intensive with a lot of individual parts. I may go down the route of making them in kit form for our members to finish off. Not added falls so far though I have on stovepipes. Certainly all caps did not have falls (the three officers caps I have examined did not) and the oilskin cover would provide foul weather protection if it were let down. Tuft covers - not convinced all had them though I have seen illustrations - we need to make a decision in the group. The Coldstreams remove their feather tufts when putting on the covers. Craig's caps are great, I have one of his stovepipes and have seen his belgics. He inspired me to have a go.

Cheers

John

Marc Middleton

Postby Marc Middleton » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 pm

How are the caps coming along John?

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am

Marc Middleton wrote:How are the caps coming along John?

Actually just finished another one tonight. Am also following up a quote for cap cords and tufts at very reasonable prices and working on a pattern for the covers. Now need to measure up the lads and start blocking.

Return to “1810-1900”