30 years war

Moderator: Moderators

CFury

30 years war

Postby CFury » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi guys
I'm writing at the moment about a fellow living through the 17th century, and I was wanting him to go into the ECW as a minor officer, probably a Lieutenant. The easiest way to do this will be prior experience (he doesnt have the background to buy a commision, so he'll have to earn one!). I wanted to have him fighting in Holland under Horace Vere, but that would mean he was at the front line at the tender age of 14. I am aware this wouldnt be as big an issue as it would be today, but is it realistic? I wouldnt trust a 14 year old these days with a water pistol nevermind a musket, but maybe I'm showing my age... :rock:

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Re: 30 years war

Postby Merlon. » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:59 pm

In the English Civil War period you do not buy commissions in the Napoleonic sense, that is a much later development.
Positions are allocated for familial or political reasons, indeed occasionally even for ability.
Most people for whom we have details warred on the continent aged 17 upwards
If he was in the Netherlands aged 14 say at Maastricht in 1632, the only likely combat role would be as an assistant matross in the artillery. That would make him 24 at the outbreak of the war which roughly in the right age range for junior officers.
But how would he receive the education and thus literacy and numeracy to be a 17th century officer? Many of the significant figures in the ECW arena were matriculating from College or |University in the 14-18 year age frame.

CFury

Postby CFury » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am

Well, therein lies the pickle. The idea was to have the option to continue with the same character to the restoration and beyond, so I was aiming to have his age similar to John Lambert (b. 1619), but Lambert was educated at the Inns of Court and didn't join the war until approximately 1642. So then I looked into Thomas Fairfax, who I believe was born 1612 but did see action with Horace Vere. I think the best way to bring this frame of reference would be the normal university route, and an older brother who fights in Holland and brings his experiences home. I was aware the commission wasn't bought per se (as in Napoleonic times), but was it the Captains responsibility to raise, clothe and feed his troops? Thanks for the help, you've given me some areas to brush up on!

Dathi

Postby Dathi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 am

Try here for Fairfax It's mostly right but it does show that it would be posible to sketch an outline that includes service in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Fai ... of_Cameron

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Fairfax matriculated at 14 and served in the Low countries at age 17-20.
At the begining of the war the commission to raise the regiment was given to the Colonel who then appointed the Field and Company officers of his regiment. Things got a little more complicated as the war progresed.
Within the company the Captain was responsible for appointing the clerk, corporals, sergeants.

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm

For a timeline basis have you considered Prince Rupert?

Born 1619
Educated at home (literacy and numeracy required of officers was also taught at an increasing number of schools and didn't necessarily require a university eduation)
Served in the 30 years war in the 1630s, gained distinction in the Breda campaign of 1637
1642-1646 did something or other connected with the ECW
1647, 30 years war again.
1648-53 Royalist Admiral
1660-onwards, Admiral after the Restoration, Privy Councillor, founder member of the Royal Society
1682 dies

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Foxe wrote:(literacy and numeracy required of officers was also taught at an increasing number of schools and didn't necessarily require a university eduation)

Totally agree, the reason most of the gentry did a stint at university or college was to get an understanding of law. The litigation culture is nothing new.
Connecting with the Low countries is the bit that makes things complicated in a time frame sense. If it could be connected to the Swedish or French phases of the Thirty Years Wars it would allow a younger character at the begining of the English Civil War.

Priince Rupert - Educated at home LOL think most Princes at this time had private tutors

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:01 am

If...one took a Birthdate of 1615,they'd be just right for Hamilton's forces raised for the Swedes in 1631/2.....Which didn't last long as units,and give scope for a fictional character to 'wander about' a bit............ :)

Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

CFury

Postby CFury » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 am

Excellent - Cheers guys this is great. Started writing last night, so I'll keep you posted as to the progress (and of course if I get stuck!)

Return to “1603-1715”