Prices of everyday objects

Moderator: Moderators

The Meenister

Prices of everyday objects

Post by The Meenister »

I am trying to find prices of everyday objects that people would buy at this period, e.g. loaves of bread, milk, flour, meat etc. also things like material. Can anyone suggest any books or references please?
Musteteer and minister with Frasers Dragoones SK, lowlander with Lace Wars, mercenary with Thirty Years War artillery unit Hortus Bellicus. Been in re-enactment since 1986 which allows me to indulge my fetish for uniforms and facial hair.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Early 17th Century Prices and Wages Stuart Press ISBN-10: 185804006X will give you some details

If you have access to JSTOR:-
Chronicon Pretiosum Snathense; or Lists of Prices of Various Kinds of Agricultural Produce, and of Other Articles, in the Ecclesiastical Peculiar of Snaith, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the Sixteenth, Seventeenth, and Eighteenth Centuries
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0959-5 ... 0.CO%3B2-1 is a fantastic resource

You may be lucky enough to find a copy of History of Agriculture and Prices in England: 1259-1793 JE Thorold Rogers in a library published in 1866, it is quite rare.

A loaf always costs a penny, as the cost of wheat goes up, the size of the loaf reduces......Set by Legal Statute

Neil Johnston

Post by Neil Johnston »

Hi Ian
I've sent you an email with some info
Cheers
Neil
GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR