tabs on a bodice

Moderator: Moderators

Christabel

tabs on a bodice

Postby Christabel » Thu May 10, 2007 7:26 pm

When does the size of tabs on the "skirt" of a bodice (lower status) become more 17th century than late Elizabethan? I've been trawling through my various books, no luck, and have just ordered "The Tudor Tailor" but I'm impatient!
Thanks for any help!

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu May 10, 2007 11:46 pm

it depends what you mean exactly by more 17th, as the change can be tracked sometimes as gradual, but the real change happened (in britain at least) when the court dress became less elizabethan.

while anne of denmark (wife of james 1) was still alive she kept a rigid hold on the older elizabethan styles for court dress.

when she died, and then henrietta maria (wife of charlie 1) came along wearing the softer, more fluid styles, the court styles shifted, and thus so did the styles for everybody else.

so at the top it would be about 1620 ish (anne o d died 1619). for the lower classes you'd be looking at some time after that.

that said, there are some woodcuts etc from much later in the 17th c (3rd quarter) that show very lower class women (street hawkers etc) still wearing something that looks very elizabethan.

why you ask?? :D

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Christabel

tabs on a bodice

Postby Christabel » Fri May 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks, Tuppence. It's because I'm hoping to attend an event which covers both the late 1500s and the early 1600s, and am hoping that my existing costume will be able to pass muster for both periods. If not, I'm going to cannibalise another one that I've got. In a perfect world, I would have the money to have a selection of costumes!

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sun May 13, 2007 3:50 am

aaahh

would have thought you'd be fine is it's lower status - things generally didn't change that quickly if you weren't fashionable.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Sun May 13, 2007 6:02 pm

As she says - fashion for lower status women and those in the sticks changes an awful lot slower than fashionable higher status people.
However the vital details are - when in the 16th and when in the 17th?
Because if it's relatively late in the 16th say - anytime after the 1570s why not make a really simple bodice and a waist coat?

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Sun May 13, 2007 6:03 pm

As she says - fashion for lower status women and those in the sticks changes an awful lot slower than fashionable higher status people.
However the vital details are - when in the 16th and when in the 17th?
Because if it's relatively late in the 16th say - anytime after the 1570s why not make a really simple bodice and a waist coat?

Christabel

Postby Christabel » Sun May 13, 2007 7:08 pm

The dates are approximately 1590's to 1620. Thanks for the suggestion - with my sewing skills, anything has got to be simple anyway!

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Sun May 13, 2007 8:18 pm

Waistcoat would work then - there's a pattern for it in the tudor tailor.
There's a guide to scale patterns from the book up here http://www.tudortailor.com/making.htm

Return to “1485-1603”