I'm new here...

Moderator: Moderators

myladyswardrobe

Post by myladyswardrobe »

Sofia,

Which website suggested emailing? The Kentwell website asks that you WRITE to them enclosing a large SAE.

If you haven't done that, then you still have time NOW to do it.

-------------
Tamsin.

Thanks for the dates. I'll get those onto my calendar when I buy it tomorrow morning!
Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Bess,

I contacted them back in November last year, before the recruitment details went up on the website and they mailed me back asking for a postal address. However, I will send them an SAE as a precaution as I don't want to miss out.

Sophia :D

myladyswardrobe

Post by myladyswardrobe »

Thats a good idea! Dont trust that they will send anything out without the SAE - after all, they have nearly a 1000 of us to send stuff too!

Also, if you've emailed in November they could very well mislay that email! :roll:

Good luck - and looking forward to meeting you in person in March!

Best wishes.
Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

Simon_Diment

Post by Simon_Diment »

Libby
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:51 pm Post subject:
Hi Nigel / Tuppence

Only vaguely related to this thread but I noticed you both make claims for the very high standards of your group(s?). I've been vaguely looking around for a second group to join for a couple of years now and have so far been put off by all the groups I have looked at when I look at their websites and see in their blurb an apparent toleration for cross-dressing / modern spectacles / hearing aids / pushchairs or initially low standards of costume.

Oh, by the way I do know the Tudor group is way beyond those standards but I was wondering if there are any others. I'm not sure they'd have me anyway, they look really scary on their website.

Can you please let me know what your group is, or recommend one I could investigate, as I'm starting to run out of ideas. My only real criteria apart from wishing to avoid the problems described above is that it must be pre 20th century and involve living history, as I'm not that interested in hitting people. Oh and I prefer to portray lower status people - much more fun.

cheers

Libby
Hi Libby

As far as I know Nige/Tuppence have three main bodies they play with; ACWS ( American Civil War ), ECWS ( English Civil War ) and Conquest (c1066-1314ish ).

Unless of course I've forgotten something and they're sure to correct me. :lol:

Nothing wrong with low status stuff, I find it extremely irritating when people start claiming high status when they don't have the kit to match. :roll:

It's still a hobby at the end of the day and we're here to have fun!

Cheers

Simon
Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Libby

Post by Libby »

Hi Simon

cheers for the advice. Any idea which ECWS? I understand the different units can be - how shall I put this? Variable? I know little about Conquest too, apart from having seen them at multi-period events - do they have much living history? As I say, if I tried hitting people I'd probably end up hurting myself - I'm clumsy enough!

By the way: I'm not so worried about being able to produce the quality of kit to do posh, I just find life as a scummy person SO much more fun - silk kinda rules out jumping over ditches and climbing trees a bit i find...

cheers

Libby

Simon_Diment

Post by Simon_Diment »

Libby
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:52 am Post subject:
Hi Simon

cheers for the advice. Any idea which ECWS? I understand the different units can be - how shall I put this? Variable? I know little about Conquest too, apart from having seen them at multi-period events - do they have much living history? As I say, if I tried hitting people I'd probably end up hurting myself - I'm clumsy enough!

By the way: I'm not so worried about being able to produce the quality of kit to do posh, I just find life as a scummy person SO much more fun - silk kinda rules out jumping over ditches and climbing trees a bit i find...
Hi Libby

The ECWS regiment is Brights AFAIK.

Within Conquest we have something like 50 authenty tents plus cook tent, armoury etc. We have spot talks on costume, rank, society in general plus the usual armour/weapons. We have our own surgeon and physician, ongoing demonstrations of ladies sewing, embroidering and spinning, some leather-working and rope-making.

We're always looking for new ways to engage the public and if you have a craft then you'd be more than welcome. Occasionally we have a wood worker with his lathe, also some of our members have constructed authentic musical instruments and at the moment we're trying to get an ensemble together plus period dancing.

The religious side of our period is also represented by our resident monk/priest/bishop Jeff.

As several of our members have been in this game for a long time then we have to dress down when the necessity arises for more physical/menial roles.

Hope that helps

Simon
:D
Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Hi libby sorry been away eating huge amounts and reminiscing until alte

Simon has said it all where abouts in the Uk are you ?

Brights are getting there with a bit of prodding but to be honest I dont do more than a couple of shows are year wiuth ECWS. ACWS well i go there to relax I persoanlly have high standards and slowly they are by a process flowing down.

BUT its conquest where my main interest effort lies. We arent perfect we do have highs tandards but we do have fun looka tt he web sirte

www.angevin.org and come and speand a weekend with us see if you like it what we do and what we are like.

Then if you do join

Looking forward to hearing from you

Nige
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Libby

Post by Libby »

Hi Simon

Cheers for all that detail, really helpful of you, I appreciate it.

Hi Nigel

I'm based in London at the moment doing a course for a year, but I'm usually Essex / Suffolk border - although like most reenactors the annual mileage on my car (when I have one, which isn't now) is scary, I'm not afraid to travel.

I'll definitely look up Conquest, they sound very much the kind of thing I'm looking for; and I'll have a scan of Brights as well.

Thanks for your help, and hopefully I'll spend a weekend with you as you suggest.

cheers

Libby

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Ok no worries

if you need any more info just shout

Or come and ahve a chat at ther ORM I am usually found sciving and talking on Tuppences stall
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Abterdickup

Post by Abterdickup »

[EDITED] SPAM deleted by SKEV [/EDITED]