Camouflage coats for troops in Ireland, 1584

Moderator: Moderators

Bevis Gittens

Camouflage coats for troops in Ireland, 1584

Post by Bevis Gittens »

I have recently come across the quote referring to equipment to be got for levies being sent to Ireland from Lancashire in 1584:
they shoulde be furnished with swordes and daggers, and lykewise conveniente doblettes and hose, and allso a cassocke of the same motley or other sad greene color, or russette, and lykewise, upon the deliverie of them to the said captaine or his lyvetenaunte, to be [by] hym or hys lyvetenaunte conducted to the seaside, and so over into Yrlaunde
Full quote online at: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/ ... &cid=-1#-1

I was wondering if anyone knows of other attempts to seemingly camouflage English troops going to Ireland, presumably due to the wooded guerrilla warfare that predominated there?

I was looking to get some material to have a go at making a motley coat and have found some excellent stuff at Time Warp Textiles (http://www.aidan-campbell.co.uk/PDFs/Ti ... letter.pdf) though this isn't a 'sad greene' but brown/grey motley. Does anyone know of any other suppliers of 'motley?'

Bevis
Bevis G
Wood Collier

Dathi

Re: Camouflage coats for troops in Ireland, 1584

Post by Dathi »

The Justices of the Peace in Berkshire received orders in May 1582 from the Privy Council to levy men for service in Ireland . The order stated that the men were to be provided

"…with coates of some darke and sadd colour, as russett or such like, and not of so light colour as blewe and redd, wchheretofore hath commonly been used”.

Source Calendar of State Papers Domestic: Elizabeth, 1581-90 (1865), pp. 15-17.

It's a rare order. The most common colour mentioned across the 25 years or so of the Elizabethan war effort in Ireland and Europe is blue. Other colours that do get mentioned are red, white, marble, orange, sea green, motley, russett, as a colour not the fabric, sage, and tawny. Fabrics are broadcloth lined with cotton, russet and frieze.

IDEEDEE

Post by IDEEDEE »

Wow!!! What a great link....(the National Archives one).. Not really my period - but fascinating...!!! :D

Bevis Gittens

Post by Bevis Gittens »

Glad you like it, found it by accident :D
Bevis G
Wood Collier