My arms fell off

Moderator: Moderators

Christabel

My arms fell off

Post by Christabel »

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I made some nice grey wool sleeves to pin on to my dress, having read that tying them on was a Continental idea - only to find during chatting to a school group that the poor pins buckled, and gave up. I had only put two pins at the top of each sleeve, so perhaps was asking too much of them! I love those pins, and have been careful with them for years, but only used them with linen partlets before! :cry:

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Re: My arms fell off

Post by chrisanson »

Christabel wrote:Has this ever happened to anyone else? I made some nice grey wool sleeves to pin on to my dress, having read that tying them on was a Continental idea - only to find during chatting to a school group that the poor pins buckled, and gave up. I had only put two pins at the top of each sleeve, so perhaps was asking too much of them! I love those pins, and have been careful with them for years, but only used them with linen partlets before! :cry:

what sort of pins?

Christabel

Post by Christabel »

Lovely pins from Annie the Pedlar - I don't know how else to describe them! Not the longest sort, though, it being late Tudor.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

could be that the wire used for them wasn't strong enough for that particular job.

may make sense if they weren't made for that.

shame, though.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Post by Grymm »

Quatermasterie do a good stout 'copper alloy' pin....brass really but I wuz trying to sound like I knew stuff.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Christabel

Post by Christabel »

Thanks for that - I'm sure Annie would have been bemused to think the pins had been used on something so heavy, and she probably does a range of thicker ones. (Like me, in this instance!)

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

I do thicker ones too, but brass is still brass and bends under serious pressure sideways, you may need a couple to hold something like sleeves.
I never though there was a problem with lacing on sleeves, I know I've seen lots of pictures of men with laced on sleeves. When I wake up properly I will have a look at the research again.
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Christabel

Post by Christabel »

You know when you've read lots of bits and pieces in books and on the internet, and just can't remember the source? I just wish I could, but I do remember the person stating firmly that there is no evidence for lace ties on English women's sleeves, although it can be seen in Italian and, I think, Dutch pictures. So Lucy, I'll be going back to my research too! :?

Thanks for the idea about doubling up pins.

saxon

Post by saxon »

I can make pins or needles to whatever spec you need :)

Christabel

Post by Christabel »

Thanks, Saxon, but I'm o.k for now - but I'll bear you in mind in future!