Accidental Shooting

Moderator: Moderators

Theotherone

Accidental Shooting

Postby Theotherone » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:04 am

I came across this
4 March 36 Eliz. Coroners Inquestion post mortem taken at Hackney on view of the body of Thomas Goldston, then and there lying dead. With verdict that on the 3rd instant between the hours four and five pm the said Thomas Goldston and a certain Richard Carpenter of Hackney yoman, sixteen years old were playing together in the house of a certain William Harrison of the said parish, when they found "in the hall" of the same house "a dagg" charged with powder and ball and "a fowlingepece" also charged with powder and ball, with which weapons they played in ignorance that the dagg and fowling pece were loaded, Richard Carpenter having the fowling pece and Thomas Goldston the dagg; and in so playing Richard Carpenter unintentionally and by mischance shot Thomas Goldston in the face, so that he died instantly. On his arraignment Richard Carpenter put himself Guilty by mischance GDR [1594]

Here http://www.learningcurve.gov.uk/tudorha ... lochlw.asp

How likely/common was this kind of thing? and what's a dagg?

Because there would have to be three of them.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:34 am

Dagg= wheel-lock pistol

For how common this sort of thing was- who knows? A good book to start with is "Those Entrusted with Arms". A history of firearms in a non-military context in the UK that covers the laws and various cases.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:01 am

The single most common cause of accidental shootings - "I didn't know it was loaded!" - I may be paranoid but I have brought my son up not to point even a toy gun directly at anyone so that when he gets to the age where he may be using the real thing he has developed some good habits.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Much later date (late 18thC/early 19thC I forget which) ...

Recently in the parish records here we came across reference to a farmer in his late 70s, who died when he was cleaning his gun and it went off by accident. Interestingly, he didn't die of the gun shot but of the 'lockjaw' (tetanus) that set in afterwards.

You'd think a farmer with 55 years' experience wouldn't be so daft, eh? The vicar made a note against the burial record that there was a *curious inquest*, which we probably won't find as the inquest records for this area were all destroyed in the 1960s.

You can find accounts of inquests in local papers on microfilm, and The Times is now online on Ancestry.com I think, upto about 1833. At some point we'll do a look up, but I seem to recall coming across very many newspaper reports of accidental shootings, plus some where the verdict might go t'other way, towards suicide. Without a witness present at the shooting, it's hard to know how many gun suicides were actually accidents, and vice versa. Like a modern inquest - although much more cursory and less forensic - they often seem to delve into the person's psychological state, to figure out f suicide is likely but sometimes they probably just had to guess.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:30 pm

I believe....First recorded firearm accident was about 1520,when a whore was shot by accidental discharge of a wheellock in Nuremburg.
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:21 pm

an accidental discharges usually result in aquittal. There is a great one from 16th cent Chelmsford when the local militia are drilling in the market place and one guy lets his arquebus off, shooting the landlord of the Red Lion through his own window.

Not guilty m'lud!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:19 pm

steve stanley wrote:I believe....First recorded firearm accident was about 1520,when a whore was shot by accidental discharge of a wheellock in Nuremburg.
Steve

So when this German prostitute was "shot" by an "accidental discharge" are we actually sure that there was a gun involved??

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:31 pm

hoho!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 am

shooting the landlord of the Red Lion through his own window.

Arrghhh, shot through me windows!!

Can be painful you know :lol:

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:00 am

think thats bad.

remember poor Sir Phillip Sidney, mortally wounded in the low countries.

Miel

Postby Miel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:41 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:an accidental discharges usually result in .........

New underpants !

Miel (pronounced "Mile")
"Well again and back with a vengence"

Return to “1485-1603”