Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Moderator: Moderators

Lady Wolfshead

Post by Lady Wolfshead »

From a period coconut tree? Might be a bit past their sell-by date though.

That's alright, wouldn't be eating them anyway! Now, where did I put the fake tan and the long black wig? :lol:

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

True Colin, it's tommorow isn't it.

I just hope to hear all about it here, not on the news.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Ecce

Post by Ecce »

Lady Wolfshead wrote:
From a period coconut tree? Might be a bit past their sell-by date though.

That's alright, wouldn't be eating them anyway! Now, where did I put the fake tan and the long black wig? :lol:

Actually the only evidence for coconuts in period is being used as knights' horses. I quote MPATHG as source

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

Mad Mab wrote:
Hobbitstomper wrote:At the risk of throwing petrol on the molten lava:

Four British soldiers, an Irishman, a Welshman, a Scotsman, and an Englishman, were captured by Al-Qaeda while fighting in Iraq.

The leader of their captors said: "We're going to line you up in front of a firing squad and shoot you all in turn. But first, you each can make a final wish."

The Scotsman says: "I'd like to hear Flower of Scotland just one more time to remind me of the auld country, played on bagpipes in the style of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards."

The Irishman says: "I'd like to hear Danny Boy just one more time to remind me of the Emerald Isle, sung in the style of Daniel O'Donnell, with Riverdance dancers skipping gaily to the tune."

The Welshman says: "I'd like to hear Men Of Harlech just one more time to remind me of the Land of my Fathers, sung as if by the Aberavon Male Voice Choir."

The Englishman said: "I'd like to be shot first..."

Oh deary, deary me! :lol:
I always like the Flanders and Swann joke about country's anthems.
'Scotland has 'Scotland the Brave', Wales has 'Cardiff, Cardiff Overalls' and what does England have? 'Jerusalem'! :lol:
mab

Well we used to own it. Now the English empire only rules over the bits that no one else wants. :)

Lady Wolfshead

Post by Lady Wolfshead »

Ecce wrote:Actually the only evidence for coconuts in period is being used as knights' horses. I quote MPATHG as source

Da*n, just spent lots of money on Ebay on a pair of period coconuts, what do you mean I can't use them? They use them in the film South Pacific! :wink:

Mad Mab

Post by Mad Mab »

Lady Wolfshead wrote:
Ecce wrote:Actually the only evidence for coconuts in period is being used as knights' horses. I quote MPATHG as source

Da*n, just spent lots of money on Ebay on a pair of period coconuts, what do you mean I can't use them? They use them in the film South Pacific! :wink:

You can still use them, just don't go near any knights. If you intend on using them the way I'm assuming you're intending to use them, then that's just an accident waiting to happen :shock: :lol:
mab
Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

Lady Wolfshead

Post by Lady Wolfshead »

Ouch! :shock: Decided to rethink Hawaiin Bannockburn costume in light of above statement. Think might stick to the nice, safe 14th century outfit I've worn before - fewer chances of coconut accidents, just looks like I rolled in some raspberries on the way instead! :D

Mad Mab

Post by Mad Mab »

Lady Wolfshead wrote:Ouch! :shock: Decided to rethink Hawaiin Bannockburn costume in light of above statement. Think might stick to the nice, safe 14th century outfit I've worn before - fewer chances of coconut accidents, just looks like I rolled in some raspberries on the way instead! :D

In that case, don't go near any bulls! (How fast can you run in the dress.....?) :lol:
ma
Have broom, will travel!
The Borderers

Mad Mab

Post by Mad Mab »

Mad Mab wrote:
Lady Wolfshead wrote:Ouch! :shock: Decided to rethink Hawaiin Bannockburn costume in light of above statement. Think might stick to the nice, safe 14th century outfit I've worn before - fewer chances of coconut accidents, just looks like I rolled in some raspberries on the way instead! :D

In that case, don't go near any bulls! (How fast can you run in the dress.....?) :lol:
ma

Apologies, I'm not your 'ma' at all. I think the 'b' had a temporary seizure! :roll:
mab
Have broom, will travel!
The Borderers

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

zauberdachs wrote:Anyone got any chat about the re-enactment?

I'm going to repair some braies later, want to join me?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

wow, it's eight quid to get into Bannockburn this year... I didn't realise it was so expensive.

http://www.nts.org.uk/Events/Search/7/
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Colin MacDonald

Post by Colin MacDonald »

Alison said that they made a £40,000 loss last year, so I guess it's what they have to charge.

For that money though, I'd expect a lot of entertainment. I may even demand it.

Did I mention that high public expectations do not constitute an incentive for reenactors to attend?

Alan, could you do my braies while you're up? I have to switch the arms on my akheton around so that my head isn't pointing backwards.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Colin MacDonald wrote:For that money though, I'd expect a lot of entertainment. I may even demand it.

aye, it's going to be interesting how it'll turn out.

Colin MacDonald wrote:I have to switch the arms on my akheton around so that my head isn't pointing backwards.

I've got two spear heads to put on shafts and then I'm all ready.
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

If anyones interested I have some 1.5 inch diameter 8 foot long ash spear poles for sale. £16 each.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude to all this. It's the weather that is likely to be the problem.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Colin MacDonald wrote:Alan, could you do my braies while you're up? I have to switch the arms on my akheton around so that my head isn't pointing backwards.

Only if they're clean.......

Lady Wolfshead

Post by Lady Wolfshead »

Colin MacDonald wrote:Alison said that they made a £40,000 loss last year, so I guess it's what they have to charge.

For that money though, I'd expect a lot of entertainment. I may even demand it.

£8.00 is what they charged two years ago so the price hasn't been bumped up to cover the losses - let's just hope that it doesn't lose that amount of money again or we'll all have to go whistle to be able to "play" at Bannockburn again! Unfortunately we seem to be out of favour with the rain gods. :( Here's hoping the public are keen! :)

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

I'm guessing that it's eight quid for adults, is there a reduced rate for children?

Colin MacDonald

Post by Colin MacDonald »

£6, or £20 for a family, say £5 per person (after taking into account season ticket holders and blaggers) x 10,000 through the gates ~= £50K revenue, which (if the £40K loss is correct) implies that the 2005 event cost ~£90K to run.

I wonder where they trimmed >£50K off the budget this year?

And now, the weather:

BBC wrote:Saturday:
Light showers, 15C/8C, 7mph winds, very poor visibility.

Sunday:
Light showers, 13C/5C, 17mph winds, poor visibility.

Met office wrote:Saturday:
Rather cloudy with showers spreading east these merging into some longer spells of rain. Light winds, but cooler. Maximum temperature 15 °C.

Sunday:
Rather cloudy with showers or longer spells of rain, some heavy. Best of any brightness in the west. Feeling much colder than of late in the freshening northerly winds.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Colin MacDonald wrote:I wonder where they trimmed >£50K off the budget this year?

A bit of wild speculation here, but it might be possible if you don't have the Royal Armouries and horses of any kind, don't invite hordes of groups who expect payment, and one or two other reasons.

P.S.- if you come along on Sunday or whenever, we'll be the people in two authenti-tents joined together by 2 awnings, one is black and green, the other while.

RTB

Post by RTB »

Horses now dispatched, see you there.................................?
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Well, I'm back home, due to living 15 minutes from Bannockburn. Some poor people are still out there in the rain. It rained a bit in the morning, then aheavy shower at lunchtime, then started raining just as we were parading round the battlefield before the battle.

It then rained for an hour or so.

We still fought, it was ok, needed more people.

The public were ok, but as you would expect fewer in numbers.

THERE WERE NO TARTAN TERRORS!

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Battle and everything was good, will put more up after the event.

Otherwise all good. 8)

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Post event report:

Pros: The no-tartan rule was adhered to

There seemed to be a dearth of kilty-wilties at the event

The fighting was well done and Mike Newcomen did a good job of being the commentator.

The briefings went over what needed going over, Mr Ballantyne acquitted himself well there!

Cons: No beer tent - it would have been nice to have somewhere communal to go in the evenings.

The lack of communication prior to the event.

There was an incident at about 2am on the sunday morning that was outwith the control of NTS where some bunch of pillocks laid out carpet tiles with rude messages on them about Alison Corley and then burned a Union Flag. To whomever did it, I can only say this: You made no friends for yourselves there, the Scottish re-enactors weren't amused by your antics, far from it. Robert Burns said "Let man for man the world o'er let brothers be for a' that". If you can't attend an event like this with that in mind, don't come at all.

That aside, it was a good event and I'm looking forward to the next one! 8)

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Glad to hear it went well, I hope the event prospers in the future.

As to burning the union flag, I would hope that the british, whether unionists or not, have enough of a sense of humour not to be upset by that sort of pathetic antics. I hope they burnt thier fingers though.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Dave B wrote:Glad to hear it went well, I hope the event prospers in the future.

Dave, it went the way we've all wanted it to go for years: I hope it stays this way and attracts more people.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Yes, more communal areas, and monsoonal weather planning are necessary.
There were some miscommunications but nothing that couldn't be sorted out ok, and the small number of attendees made that possible.

The commemorative ceremony with nationalist bent went off quietly enough, but it did appear that some small number of people of like mind came back at 2am to be stupid.

RTB

Post by RTB »

Pity to hear about the flag burning. We heard nothing of it.
Went well from our persective, all positives as previously explained by Guthrie. The weather again could have been better, but what can you do about that?

See you all next year, and hopefully a lot more of you.
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

If you want to get really picky, we need to occupy more of the battlefield and move about more.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

guthrie wrote:If you want to get really picky, we need to occupy more of the battlefield and move about more.

That can only be solved if more people turn up, although we could have moved up the battlefield more, perhaps something for next time?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Also, the lurkers might like to come along to Lanark medieval festival this year, with many re-enactors, and not a kilt in sight.