Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Moderator: Moderators

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

cant wait to join in this will i bring my own blue face paint or will it be provided ?
I refer the honourable gentle person to........

www.gaddgedlar.com

Read it and weep!
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

RTB

Post by RTB »

The very best of luck.

Chris
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

as the scottish tourist industry sell Mel Gibson statutes as Braveheart memorabilia can I suggest 2 battles a day. The as it was to please the authenty history buffs and the reenactment of a film for the public.

You then please everyone - have twice as much entertainment and it is a fine way to show how wrong the film is.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Bit of a problem as Wallace was dead well before Bannockburn but that would probably be in the spirit of the film :D

Must admit I like that we can play the Robin Hood card here as it's an easy selling point and you can attempt to re-educate the MOPS once you've got them in
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Ian Deveney

Bannockburn

Post by Ian Deveney »

On reply to Alison from the NTS.
I can confirm that I have worked for Mike as a self-employed subcontractor, doing work on behalf of his company.
He is very professional and very good in his own field. As for Robert he does make costume and work at the Bannockburn centre, to my knowledge I don’t think he has written a battle script, I hope I’m wrong and wish them all the best of luck.
Those who live by the sword die by the guns of others :-)

Ayliffe's Steve

Post by Ayliffe's Steve »

As far as the tartan rule goes I am going to make every effort to enforce the no tartan but could I ask you and the reenactors to help me with this?
How can we help?

Our group made the best attempt we could to turn up in kit which we believe to be accurate to the period. I even had my photo taken by a historical writer who told me I had some of the most accurate kit he had seen all weekend *ah smug mode*

However, if another group turns up with different kit claiming that their research has lead them to believe it is correct and I do not know what I am talking about so I had better shut my mouth, then surely there is not a lot I (having (and wanting)) no authority in the show) can do?
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

An offical kit guide based perhaps on the wonderful and comprehensive Lanark guide?
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

NTS

Post by NTS »

We are currently working on a kit guide. All reenactors who wish to participate at Bannockburn will be asked to sign up to this. If people do not wish to adhere to the kit guide I will not issue a pass giving them access to the site, there will also be check on arrival to the site and before anyone enters the arenas.

I am as keen as everyone else to make this event work.

The history of Bannockburn in its own right is fantastic ( without hollywoods take on events!) and I am determined with your help next years reenactment event will be educational, accurate, entertaining and fun.

Alison

Ian Macintyre

Post by Ian Macintyre »

No event has been without kit guides. The guides have failed to be implemented. Sadly some people ignored them and nobody prevented them walking onto the field. One of the key complaints.

Can I make a suggestion which you will all ignore anyway. Rather than publically engage in this excercise and kill this at birth again why not send specific areas of concern to NTS by PM? I shall be doing so this morning.
I think this much public questioning is unhelpful.
Hating is easy, loving takes real character

Be excellent to each other AND party on dudes

Charisma 17

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

zauberdachs wrote:An offical kit guide based perhaps on the wonderful and comprehensive Lanark guide?
:oops: Thanks for the vote of appreciation.

If the Alison from NTS wants to get in touch please PM me and we can talk
Caroline

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Dont bluch its rather good
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

oakenshield

Post by oakenshield »

sorry chaps i was just joking :oops:

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Ian Macintyre wrote:I think this much public questioning is unhelpful.
Fair enough stupid questioning is unhelpful. But it would save 20+ odd people asking the same set of questions if there was one set of answers in a public forum.
Last edited by zauberdachs on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

Nigel wrote:Dont bluch its rather good

Uh? Oh I get it - blush - crumbs your dyslexia makes for interesting reading sometimes.
Caroline

Colin MacDonald

Post by Colin MacDonald »

It's great to hear from you, Alison, and thanks for taking the time to post this here. It's genuinely heartening to see you getting personally involved with an event that we all want to see succeeed.

Infuse us with information, deluge us with details. Sell us on the experience, and let's get some buzz going about 2007.

Ian has a good point. If we do have any concerns or questions, please give Alison, Robert and Michael an opportunity to address them in private first, rather than slamming out an OMG, U MUST B JOKING post as a first resort. There's plenty of time to get any concerns addressed, so let's try to be positive. Yes, even me. :P

[update]
Delivery to the following recipients failed.

battleofbannockburn@nts.org.uk
Ah well. Nothing slippery, I was just going to suggest that it might be an idea to ask (off list) someone with experience in event organising *cough* Paul Murphy *cough* if he'd be kind enough to list the issues that need to be explicitely handled or delegated.

Has anyone else managed to get in touch with Alison? Do we have a working address?

jim-m

Post by jim-m »

Has anyone heard any more information on this one yet?

Jim

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

No
I did find back then that she could communicate by PM easily enough. You could try that.

jim-m

Post by jim-m »

I saw Mike Newcomen at an Edinburgh Festival event at the castle. I have only met him once previously, but had hoped to speak to him about Bannockburn, but didn't get a chance to as he was walking about with his hand up a dogs bum (ok the dog was a puppet but it sounds good).

Colin MacDonald

jim-m wrote:I saw Mike Newcomen at an Edinburgh Festival event at the castle. I have only met him once previously, but had hoped to speak to him about Bannockburn, but didn't get a chance to as he was walking about with his hand up a dogs bum (ok the dog was a puppet but it sounds good).
Was it constructed of provenancable fabric, and fully hand stitched?

The puppet, I mean, not Edinburgh castle. We all know that's a fake one, made of Blackpool rock painted with grate black. The real one is still hidden in a secret vault under Westminster Abbey. It's true, I read it on Wikipedia.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

HHmm, and who wrote the wikipedia entry?

Your showing soem levity these days, Colin. Do you know something we dont?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

I'm sure he knows plenty we don't. I for one have never seen his mother naked for example ;)

Colin MacDonald

It's the effect of having an enforced sabbatical season. Due to a particularly bothersome year of domestic and work related shennanigans, I haven't made it to a single event this year, sadly not even Lanark, which I was dribbling over with anticipation. I'm even - and don't let this get around - wondering if it's actually possible to own, you know, too much reenactment gear.

It seems that the further that you get from the coal face, the dafter the whole exercise appears. When it comes down to it, we're just playing dress up and having a lark, however much we wrap it up in talk about serious research into such and such, and recreating so and so lost art. We're just serious about a pleasurable but essentially frivilous pursuit.

Actually, I think I'm almost at the point where I could hug a McHalford. Has anyone got one handy to test the hypothesis, or have they gone extinct while I was looking the other way?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Colin MacDonald wrote:It's the effect of having an enforced sabbatical season. Due to a particularly bothersome year of domestic and work related shennanigans, I haven't made it to a single event this year, sadly not even Lanark, which I was dribbling over with anticipation. I'm even - and don't let this get around - wondering if it's actually possible to own, you know, too much reenactment gear.

It seems that the further that you get from the coal face, the dafter the whole exercise appears. When it comes down to it, we're just playing dress up and having a lark, however much we wrap it up in talk about serious research into such and such, and recreating so and so lost art. We're just serious about a pleasurable but essentially frivilous pursuit.

Actually, I think I'm almost at the point where I could hug a McHalford. Has anyone got one handy to test the hypothesis, or have they gone extinct while I was looking the other way?
We'e a one day event next month if you're interested?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Well COlin- you get uot what you put into this kind of hobby. I have always taken it as something of a lark, cant speak for anyone else. Yet you can hardly deny that large numbers of us do aim for better accuracy, authenticity etc, as well as a better understanding of the history and also like to transfer it along to other people.

Of course, if you'd like to be off and find a cure for AID's, cancer and TB, be my guest. But I agree that our hobby is somewhat less erious than the above endeavours, just not quite as frivolous as some might think.

jim-m

Post by jim-m »

I'm keen to find out a bit more about the proposed Bannockburn event as I met a very comptetent event organiser last week. If this plan has fallen on its backside already, then there is still time to pick up the pieces and move it forward.
Jim

RTB

Post by RTB »

Jim-m-,
I don't think the event has fallen just yet. The organisers were talking to us about the event for 2007, so from that you could read that NTS are looking forward and not back. Just who is organising the event for them, I don't know.

Chris
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Another thread on here said who it was they were getting to organise Bannockburn, I cant find the exact names right now. so just search the forum.

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

It was this thread itself...
NTS wrote:My name is Alison Corley and I am the property manager for Bannockburn. The people writing the scripts etc will be Robert Ballantyne and Michael Newcomen.

Paul thanks for the information and I will certainly look at the information and balance it with the trust's insurance requirements.

Thanks again,

Alison
And also
Paul Murphy wrote:After some detective work:

http://www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/pre ... avPage=472&

Note that this is an old press release, but gives details of one of the people involved.

Their web page:
http://www.newcomen.freeserve.co.uk/

"Scotland's leading living history company" - I assume the key word here is "company", rather than "society".

Their experience of running large events in the past isn't stated - perhaps they'd like to join this forum and help with answering some of the questions?

Paul.
The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

Colin MacDonald

Bump.
NTS's web site wrote: NTS is delighted to announce that the Battle of Bannockburn 2007 will take place on Saturday the 23rd and Sunday the 24th of June (693 years to the day since the original battle was fought!). Watch this space for more information!
Watching avidly. Has anyone heard any updates on this year's event?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Colin MacDonald wrote:Bump.
NTS's web site wrote: NTS is delighted to announce that the Battle of Bannockburn 2007 will take place on Saturday the 23rd and Sunday the 24th of June (693 years to the day since the original battle was fought!). Watch this space for more information!
Watching avidly. Has anyone heard any updates on this year's event?
I suppose an email to NTS might be in order.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!