Page 1 of 1

All them folds and stuff.....

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 am
I have been told that the pleating we see in some high-status outfits is called "poncing" (pic)...... Anyone know if this is true (or has someone been pulling my leg) and if true, any known derivation..? Cheers.. :)

Re: All them folds and stuff.....

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 pm
by Brother Ranulf
It's almost true - but it is not poncing, it's the Middle English verb pouncen, which has a slightly different meaning:

(a) To emboss (metal vessels and artifacts) with raised designs; ppl. pounced, embossed, decorated, repoussé; (b) to pierce, prick; also, stab (sb.); thrust into (sb.); (c) ppl. pounced, of clothing: ornamented with cut-out figures, pinked; (d) to thrust, push; also, push about, jostle; also, prod (sb. with the foot).

The adjective/ past participle is pounced, which is closely connected to Modern English "punched". Not pleating then, but the idea of raising a design could be seen today as connected with pleats. It wasn't used in that sense at the time.

Re: All them folds and stuff.....

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm
Cheers for that... :)

(P.S. I had a secret little bet with myself about who would most likely know/come back with the first answer with the detail to make me think; "Yep. Sounds like that's it".... I won.. :) Thanks again..)