Medieval garden tools

Moderator: Moderators

conanthelibrarian

Medieval garden tools

Postby conanthelibrarian » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:23 am

I am certain many of the experts out here will know where I will be able to source gardening implements, please?

The tools are for use in a medieval kitchen garden, so any help with sourcing items or suggestions for things that we may find invaluable would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Medieval garden tools

Postby John Waller » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:48 am

Jim the Pot makes various watering devices.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Cultivating tools, like most things, evolved and changed during the medieval period - spades irons, for instance, came in a variety of shapes depending on region and period. Some years ago I made the wooden part of a 12th century spade (using ash wood) and found a smith willing to make the iron shoe for it, based on the photos and measurements I supplied.

I am not aware of any evidence for single-handed forks or trowels (other than those used by masons), certainly in the early/mid medieval.

There is evidence for weeding sticks and something called a "spud", both with long handles for use in two hands. Weeding sticks were used as a pair, one with a flat metal hook and the other ending in a metal crescent shape; you placed the hook around the base of the weed, then pushed the crescent against the stem and pulled the plant out with the hook. The spud was a flat, rectangular blade about 36mm wide and 52mm long extending into a narrow tang which would fit into a long handle on the same axis and would be used for hoeing and cutting weeds at ground level, or perhaps for digging up root crops.

The mattock was roughly a 4 feet long ash wood handle with a small flat blade mounted at about 80 degrees to its socket, used for digging, hoeing or taking out a narrow trench.

Sadly I know of nobody offering these kinds of tool, except I have seen some Polish traders offering distinctly non-English styles of medieval spade in the past.

I have many images of these tools and others, mainly 12th century in date, such as this one of a man using weeding sticks in manuscript MS K 30, a psalter at St John's College Cambridge dating to about 1195. The "business ends" were in reality of iron and many examples are known.

MS K 30 June.jpg

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:21 am

'The Medieval Garden' by Sylvia Landsberg has several illustrations of tools in medieval gardens. The 1520 picks look remarkably like fisherman's anchors! One-handed tools seem to be limited to types of bill-hook and reaping hooks, as the Brother says.

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

conanthelibrarian

Postby conanthelibrarian » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Thank you for your help, particularity Brother Ranulf.

I've been looking in the Landsberg book, but was hoping there would be someone out there who was supplying this sort of thing. It looks as though I will have to try to find someone to make the items for me, as they have to be English in style.

Thanks.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 pm

if you let me have the specifications for the styles you decide on, Gareth is planning a run of forge days over the winter an may be able to assist

conanthelibrarian

Postby conanthelibrarian » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm

That would be brilliant Sally. I'll let you know as soon as I have the specifications from the person who is going to be using them.

Thanks.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 am

Further to the weeding sticks I mentioned, I found this English window roundel in the V&A collection, dated to 1450 - 1475 (re-used in a private house, but the original location is unknown). It shows that weeding was still done this way towards the end of the middle ages, although the "crescent" end has been replaced by a simple forked stick. The hook appears to have a socket with a nail hole:

15th century weeding sticks.jpg

15th century weeding sticks - Copy.jpg
15th century weeding sticks - Copy.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 1858 times

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Any smith, given source material, will be able to do these. Gareth, has Sally says, does fine stuff as well as Andy Kirkham, Red Dog forge etc.

Museum of London has some nice little hand tools, no idea if they are on display but its a great site for rummaging in the stores.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm

gardenmuseum.org.uk in Lambeth. Visited it once some years ago however it is closed to visitors at the moment but they may respond to queries.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

bourbon

Postby bourbon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Ferrers Household have a pair of weeding sticks. Pete the carpenter just kept his eyes open when walking, He also has build various different types of spade.

Always have a plan 'B'

ZacharySamples

Postby ZacharySamples » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:25 pm

You know, you're absolutely right! I mean, my olds do enjoy work in the garden, plant and grow up everything they can, so I help them sometimes and even found a great shop of tools, this one, to make my mommy happy and to make her life easier. So, now she spends more time growing something than with me.

Return to “1100-1500”