linen webbing for girths/surcingales

Moderator: Moderators

phil ainsley

linen webbing for girths/surcingales

Postby phil ainsley » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm

a friend is making a 13th century saddle for me. having looked through the mac bible and some other peroid images it looks likes the girths and surcingales could be made of cloth/webbing rather than leather.

im wondering if any of the horsey people out there can give me advice regarding using linen/flax webbing for this. does it stretch? or is it suitable material for this kind of purpose. any other advice around this querry appreciated.

thanks

Thalion

Re: linen webbing for girths/surcingales

Postby Thalion » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:40 am

Hi,

I don't re-enact a horseman, but I'm pretty sure they just use modern saddles. Anyhow, I think you'd need a strong material like leather for the girth as that's the thing that stops you (And saddle) from falling off. I wouldn't risk using something like linen or fabric such as that as it's not in my opinion durable enough. This is speculation from a Modern Horse Rider, not a re-enactment horse riding expert or anything.

Regards,
Thalion.

Brother of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Ordinis Hospitalis Sancti Johannis Jerusalem
Ava Crux Alba

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:28 am

The most detailed study of medieval horse furniture is the Museum of London's book on the subject, now available online here:
http://virtuabis.free.fr/The%20Medieval ... ipment.pdf

You will see that girths are hardly mentioned, simply because no examples have survived - only the metal buckles. Leather is rarely found in archaeological contexts and the recent discovery of a 13th century leather peytrel complete with harness pendants in Ireland was seen as a unique, spectacular and outstanding discovery:
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/26072

Looking at all the available chess pieces, stained glass windows, stone and ivory carvings, manuscript illustrations and other visual sources from the time it is impossible to tell what material was used for girths; where there is an apparent texture (which might be interpreted by some as webbing) this could simply be elaborately tooled leather, which was certainly used in other elements of harness as well as leather scabbards and sheaths. Without an actual surviving example all we can do is speculate.

My own view is that a wide range of different girths was used - the double girths of the 12th century still continued in some cases alongside single girths. Some are decorated, others plain and I suspect that leather was the main material used (based on the surviving buckles shown in the MoL book), but that a tentative but unproven case could be put forward for some woven girths as well.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:57 am

Think of it as experimental archeology. If your saddle does a 180 something is probably wrong :D

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:55 pm

I would avoid linen, it stretches when dry and shrinks when wet. Look at ethnographic horse, mule/donkey and camel accoutrements. Lots of wool, particularly split ply braid. Tablet weave probably good too.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:54 am

Track down Timothy Dawson he has at least two medieval saddles and rides a lot so would probably be able to help you

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 pm

No, the webbing girths and surcingles are totally fine and in use even now. Military saddles use them still too. Not many historical riders out there use 'modern' saddles, and if they do they are in a foolish minority. That goes for all periods I'd have thought. If you want to know where to get web strapping drop me an email. I use them all the time, no issues at all, apart from they are a wee bit harder to keep clean.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”