Waxed linen gaiters

Moderator: Moderators

Kristian of Flanders

Waxed linen gaiters

Postby Kristian of Flanders » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,
I am prepairing tho go in the woods fore a few day's.
Made me a pair of linen waxed gaiters. Period 1450 / 1490, Burgundie.
I am struguling with the fastenings. I pined low resolution images to show they used linen cord cris/cros. Most images show a double fastening, under the knee and at the ankel.
Now i am looking fore high resolution images that i can use as prove a humble man used a cris/cros of fastening somme off the times.

Thx in advance.

Kristian of Flanders

Re: Waxed linen gaiters

Postby Kristian of Flanders » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:38 am

http://utu.morganlibrary.org/medren/Sea ... urrent=127

As you can see, no rope was used to close the gaiters.
But i did found this marvalus website.

Mick,M

Postby Mick,M » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am

Waxed linen gaiters hmmm never heard of these being used in the 15th century,?!
Although I have heard seen and read of single leg hose being worn over hose for warmth and when not in needed rolled down to the knee and held up by garters make of inkle braid or leather.

They do work well at keeping the warmth in and do act as a gaiter would in protecting the lower leg and if worn over the top of boots keep stones and the bamp out.

just a thought hope it helps

Kristian of Flanders

Postby Kristian of Flanders » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:35 pm

hi, in the colored manuscripts notice that most gaiters are light in color. The same color is coming back into shirts and seed bags . In contrast, you see a lot fewer images of colored leggings. Judging by the color of historical manuscripts and photographs that can be found in the books by Gerry Embleton I agree with the respected people of the living history community that linen gaiters waxed to repel water and dirt were used in the 15th century. Meanwhile, I have to conclude that a cross-linking was not common itself. 240 images in detail have convinced me to be wrong in that matter.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Mick, you definitely see pieces of linen wrapped round the lower legs, which is what we're discussing. I'd never considered that they might be waxed though. I've a picture somewhere of a pair from behind, which makes them look like a rectangle of linen tied round the leg. I had the impression that they were held by cords tied round the knew and ankle. Certainly there is no indication on any of the pictures of lacing at the back.

As to criss-cross lacing, I'm told that it wasn't done. I know that Sarah Thursfield has it on her Anathema list. She has written a small pamphlet on how to lace your garments. Get in touch through her website if you want s copy.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Kristian of Flanders

Postby Kristian of Flanders » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:22 am

Thank you fore this marvalus example.
They had different constructions, from a tube to a flab off cloth. Always you will see the same fastening.
People off lower status where them, farmers, foresters, hunters, ...
Made a book one Pintrest.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:01 pm

That's the picture, thank you.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “1100-1500”