Help with daggers

Moderator: Moderators

Alan D'Audley

Help with daggers

Postby Alan D'Audley » Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with daggers, the group I'm in covers a fairly large time scale (Norman Invasion through to War of the roses) and I'm looking for a suitable dagger. I realise one dagger isn't going to cover our whole period, I was hoping to cover 13thC to War of the Roses with one piece so I thought either a Quillon Dagger or Basilard would be suitable.

First of all is this right or any other suggestions.

And secondly other than the Tod's Foundry, where is a good place in the UK to source one from? I love Tod's pieces but they're a little restrictive in price for my wallet at the moment...

"Mummy when I grow up I want to be a re-enactor"

"Oh sweetie, unfortunately you can't do both..."

Stuart Quayle

Re: Help with daggers

Postby Stuart Quayle » Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Alan

Wow! that is a big timeline you are covering. You might have to 'fudge' the styling of the dagger to cover such a large period (see below):

I would go for a cross-hilt dagger (quillon style) as this form of dagger comes in around the 1100's and continues up to the mid 1300's, when only the pommel shape changes from antennae to crescent, shield, star, wheel or disc shape. If you missed off the pommel completely the shape of it would not be an issue, then the quillon dagger goes right through into the 1400's.

Avoid the Baselard, that only comes in to being as both a civilian dagger and military one around the very late 1200's;
The Ballock dagger is only seen in artworks from around 1300;
The Rondel dagger only becomes popular around 1350.

Return to “1100-1500”