please help a noob :\

Moderator: Moderators

loken31st

please help a noob :\

Postby loken31st » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I am quite new to reenactment and i need help with the fine details of soft kit, my group isn't being helpful and just keep giving me vague answers so i thought i would to come to a forum for help.

what i would like is full details of basic clothing and how it was worn in mid 14th century England and if possible where i could get these items of clothing made, as i do not have the equipment or skill required to create my own clothing.

sorry if I'm being a bit vague myself but all the help that can be given would be much appreciated.

thanks everyone,

sam :)

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong; that is your oath. Rise a knight.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Re: please help a noob :\

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:56 am

Welcome to the forum loken31st.
Lots of groups have different kit requirements, so it's a difficult one to answer in a generic kind of a way.
Have you attended any events where your new group are appearing yet? If they are being vague it may be that they want you to be sure what you are getting into, and therefore would prefer you to observe them in action, or help on the 21st century side of their endeavors for and event or two, until you are all sure you're right for each other.
If having kit made for you by a professional seamstress, you will be wise to expect to wait a number of months after placing the order before your clothing will be ready, and if at all possible, you will be needing to see them in person to have fittings once or twice, so your kit sits right. If possible choose a seamstress nearish to you, or someone whom you will be able to see at a show or two you are planning to attend.
Jackie at Cloak'd and Daggered http://www.cloakedanddaggered.com/ is marvelous at cut and quality of clothing for your period, she will be able to advise about what you need, and her prices are very fair, but she has a well filled order book usually, because she is good, so is worth waiting for.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:40 pm

If they are not helping you get your kit together maybe you have chosen the wrong group to join?.. As said, you need the dress code of the group before buying anything as you could end up wasting loads of cash on buying the wrong stuff... :wink: The ILHF is on as well shortly so you could get your stuff from there if you find out from your ggroup what is acceptable... :wink:

loken31st

Postby loken31st » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm with team falchion. And im already going to the ILHF to have my sword belt fitted so i was thinking about going to cloak'd anfd dagger'd to seek advice.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong; that is your oath. Rise a knight.

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:20 pm

It may not have been a good idea naming the group :wink:

loken31st

Postby loken31st » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:08 pm

lol why not? and i know the armorial knights have worked with the falchions.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 pm

There is a sticky thread on newbies kit guide at the top of the friends and gossip section, well worth studying carefully.

I'd say if you are having a sword belt fitted before getting any soft kit then you are already starting on the worryingly expensive method of starting this hobby. Sort the basics before the twiddly flash bits. You need shirt, braes, shoes, hose, hat and doublet/cote first. Then a simple belt and pouch/purse. then get basic eating and drinking stuff.

A sword belt should be waaaaaay down the list.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Thalion

Postby Thalion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:There is a sticky thread on newbies kit guide at the top of the friends and gossip section, well worth studying carefully.

I'd say if you are having a sword belt fitted before getting any soft kit then you are already starting on the worryingly expensive method of starting this hobby. Sort the basics before the twiddly flash bits. You need shirt, braes, shoes, hose, hat and doublet/cote first. Then a simple belt and pouch/purse. then get basic eating and drinking stuff.

A sword belt should be waaaaaay down the list.

Agreed, I made the mistake of getting flashy things which weren't accurate and some tourist tat before I joined a proper group. It's a mistake you make only once. And an expensive mistake too. Also when you said you can't make clothing I once said that every time I was at a Re-enactment, thinking I'm the worst and I don't know how to do it, but soon after I got more comfortable I started to actually stitch and make my own kit, and damn it's not only more authentic but the feel of it is brilliant! For instructions on how to make clothing buy the "Medieval Tailor's Assistant" It's the best. And if you want contacts for clothing and kit, I'll happily lend you a hand. But these guys are right, if a group isn't helping you and offering to help you, and even lend you kit or give stuff to you are you sure it's the right group? I'd like to ask what made you choose the 14th C.?

Regards,
Thalion.

Brother of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Ordinis Hospitalis Sancti Johannis Jerusalem
Ava Crux Alba

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Have to say, all the advice above comes to naught if your group isn't giving any support. Ditch them, they don't need/want you obviously and there are undoubtedly better.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”