Puffed sleeve "gambeson" for archer?

Moderator: Moderators

SirUlf

Puffed sleeve "gambeson" for archer?

Postby SirUlf » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:00 pm

I was thinking of getting one of Steel Mastery's "Puffed Sleeve Gambesons" and wanted to just check with the brains on here. I do WOTR archery so wanted something as illustrated in the commonly referred to Osprey's "English Longbowman 1330-1515". The puffed shoulder one is mentioned in there. I'd probably tone the puffs down if anything though. Would such a garment be acceptable? Thinking of just doing two layers of padding, I won't do full contact combat in it yet.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Re: Puffed sleeve "gambeson" for archer?

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

I'd be happier to see you in a Cap-A-Pie one if you can't afford to get one made to fit you.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

AndyandHelen

Postby AndyandHelen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Please have a look at SPES Medieval Market or Matuls.pl before you go to Steel Mastery. Gambesons by both these companies are well made and will fit you like a glove too so long as you measure yourself accurately. You will get some excellent protection for less than you would imagine.

SirUlf

Postby SirUlf » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks. Cap-a-Pie looks quite good, good price and UK based.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:29 am

The jacks are made in India, I think, but Mark does keep a good eye on standards. Like I said, if you can get one made for you, it's much better. Matlus have an excellent reputation.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Errent Knight

Postby Errent Knight » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Another vote for Spes medieval market. I had a good look at the gambesons and doublets they had at the NLHF in November. Very nice work, at a reasonable price, plus they do custom work. They were dead friendly too :) As far as I know they will be back at the NLHF in March.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:51 pm

If the jacks Steel Mastery make are anything like their brigs, then I'd say it'll be a crook of shite.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

SirUlf

Postby SirUlf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the input. I've had a proper look around now. I'm probably going with The Padded Armour Company's "budget version". Seems ok, standard sizes but no puffy arms. I know they've had issues with delivery in the past, but it seems to be ok now.

SirUlf

Postby SirUlf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Just wanted to put that I got one of The Padded Armour Company's "standard" range, and it's jolly nice actually. Might not be thick enough for going into a proper mosh, but for one-on-one sword fighting and as a general garment it's excellent and very good value. I put jack chains on mine and having tried it it works very well. It's well made and looks sturdy. And it's very cosy in this weather...

Return to “1100-1500”