Early grotesque visors? Any thoughts ...

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Early grotesque visors? Any thoughts ...

Postby Graham Ashford » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi there

I've been wanting to make a grotesque visor a bascinet for a while now, just as a vanity project, but would love to make history fit my want this time round, rather than just make it and never be able to wear it.

I've been sifting through miniatures DB and other sources looking for early examples and sadly can't seem to find any 14th century versions; currently it doesn't look like I will be taking this any further, so I've decided to throw myself at your mercy.

Are there any examples of grotesque bascinet visors out there, be they human face, bird, skulls (I wish) or otherwise?

Thanks for any help or support you can offer.
KIndest regards

Graham

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Early grotesque visors? Any thoughts ...

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:43 pm

feel free to make me a Trevanion sallet......

Its not exactly grotesue but would paint up nicely with a monsters face, just like the early 16th cent one in the Wallace. Jeff Hildenbrandt at Royal Oak has made a stunning version of it.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Graham Ashford

Postby Graham Ashford » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Griff, funny how after all this time things go full circle, I might be doing a Trevanion after all, just trying to track down any other pictures/details of it than the single image and it was stolen in 1950 info that's about :)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Talk to you know who in Manchester Square! But yes, the 1 or 2 pics online is all thats out there otherwise. That sallet is a tragic loss. Can only hope it turns up again somewhen.

Must talk to you about some hourglass gauntlets.....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”