Crecy

Moderator: Moderators

Sampson de Strelley

Crecy

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:38 pm

hi

im looking for some info on how to find a roll call of names that where at the battle of crecy, im not really after the big names such as the black prince but the minor lords

any help would be gratefully received

cheers

s

lifes life get on with it :)

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Crecy

Postby Brother Ranulf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm

I doubt it is fully comprehensive but this angelfire page gives the heraldry and names of at least some English knights at Crecy, by division:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/medhera ... page6.html

I remember as a youngster in the 1960s having "Look and Learn" magazine weekly and one very impressive two-page spread of a painting showing the English knights assembled at Crecy, with a key showing whose arms were shown on pennons, banners and shields. Sadly I had to dump all those useful and well-illustrated mags (many of the pictures were produced by the Embletons).

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 am

thank you for the information, ive had a quick scan and looks very usefull

cheers :D

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 pm

cheers had a proper look at it, looks good with all the main lords etc, however do you know how i could get hold of the lasser known lords

cheers

s

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:14 pm

My understanding is that no comprehensive list was ever made of the English contingent, the more important nobles obviously having more of an impact on history. It is estimated that as many as 2,800 "men at arms" were present, which includes all the major knights, lower ranking knights, their retinues and others; it is also apparent that some heraldry used on the English side has never been attributed to any particular knights. A contemporary English herald would have known virtually everyone and their arms an the English side, plus most of the main ones on the French side - so all you need is a 14th century English herald :^) .

As far as I know there is no complete list surviving from the time in documents - the only reasonable avenue for research. Without that you don't have much chance of finding the information today. The recently-knighted Aymer Rokesley has the dubious honour of being the only English knight killed (the other casualty being a squire), making him notorious - at least his name survives.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 am

thank you for your information. yes it is a shame that they didnt record their history a lot earlier via pipe rolls etc

what we need is a time machine :rock:

Lord DeSpencer

Postby Lord DeSpencer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 am

I was there
;)

Lord DeSpencer

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 am

Plus you have to remember there was a rather large Welsh delegation as well (with some suggestions that the Welsh flag / banner was first raised during the battle)

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am

Did you want the whole call - or to find some interesting, lesser MaA to portrray - if the latter you might (hefty old might there) have some joy by taking some of the named nobles from Brother Ranulf's ;ist and searching to see if there were lists/examples of their indentured retainers, because they would have been there with them. Probably.

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:33 am

Hi

I'm after evidence that one of the Strelleys was at crecy so the roll call is really what I'm after

Cheers

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 am

Well - not from the best source available - but these saleable genealogies are flowery nonsesnse added to hard data. So this small extract could be interesting and a lead for you:

Known as the Agincourt Roll, it lists the following soldiers who sailed with Henry V to Normandy on Sunday 11th August 1415- Lord Grey of Codnor (a member of the Ferrers family), John Grey, Edward Foljambe, John Cokayn, Robert Strelley, Alured Longford, Robert Wennesley, Richard Foljambe, William Gloshoppe, John Martyn, Richard Taillour, William Martyn, Thomas Staunton, William Dekyn-these were Lancers. The Archers were, amongst others; Richard Coup, John Dekyn, Ralph Bradshawe, Laurence Repyndon

It seems to have an Agincourt Roll to work from, If you could track that down...

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Sampson de Strelley

Postby Sampson de Strelley » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Cheers for the info I will have a look at what you have sent. :-D

Return to “1100-1500”