Carrying arrows in the belt

Moderator: Moderators

SirUlf

Carrying arrows in the belt

Postby SirUlf » Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 am

I've recently started putting my arrows in my belt rather than in a belt quiver as it just feels smoother. However, I first tried the way shown in Osprey's English Longbowman, pulling by the point. This just gives you arrow in the wrong end though and you're stood waving an arrow around. Surely they must have pulled it from the "fletch end". Doing that makes it much easier to pull out an arrow, nock and loose.

I'm also not sure how the "arrow tube" would work. Even having them in the belt, occasionally one will slip out, having them in a tube would surely mean they'd slide out when it was half empty (or half full...), wouldn't it?

Brian la Zouche

Re: Carrying arrows in the belt

Postby Brian la Zouche » Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm

when i did LH at a local manor house a few shoved ( fletching uppermost ) in the belt worked fine, although i didn't use any barbed headed shafts for obvious reasons, (this also didn't work with battlefield blunts) i've found barbed or blunts carried in almost anyway usually ended up with some being pulled out with the one i was drawing, i made a linen tube with a sewn on strap that i tie around my waist ( sorta got the idea from early scenes in crows robin hood ) that i use for blunts, to save the tipping up and falling out of arrows i put a rock inside at the bottom, but still found when i withdrew a shaft the blunt heads also pulled out other arrows, but see the arrow bag with tubes > https://www.facebook.com/groups/reenact ... emsolvers/ this worked really well,
i can also fit my 1/2'' shafts with type 16 heads, although for broad heads/ barbed i'd need bigger tubes

i do not profess it to be authentic, but its no less than most ways used on re-enactment battlefields

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Thu May 23, 2013 9:33 am

Arrows can be pulled from the belt forwards (fletching pulls through belt without damage if properly attached) but obviously pulling the head through the belt (from the fletch end) would have been problematic with barbs (such as type 16) and is so with modern blunts.
Grasp the middle of the arrow (or just below - but not the point itself) and pull it down. If the archers are sufficiently spaced, your bow can be horizontal and you lay the arrow directly on the left side far enough forward that the knock is 'somewhere near' the string; hold it there with your bow-hand (first finger) as you would if carrying it ready to shoot. Knock, draw and loose. No need to wave the arrow about at all :) .

Must get the bows out again... I have somewhere to shoot at home now! :thumbup: :D :thumbup: ... Just no time ... no time :cry:

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

drawknife

Postby drawknife » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Isn't putting them in the belt for carrying purposes ( to the battle) and then taking them out to put in the ground before shooting?

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

You can, although this detracts from your mobility. If you are suddenly ordered around the flank, you have to pause to pick up the (6 - dozen?) arrows still stuck in the ground in front of you; this is not a good thing in military terms! Additionally if (as some assert) the heads of war arrows were not strongly fixed in place, you could find yourself shooting a blank at inopportune moments.

Of course war isn't the only time you'll be carrying arrows. Pushing a few through your belt is handy when walking in woodland (whether legally hunting or poaching). Of course Chaucer's Knight's yeoman wasn't hunting or at war, yet
"A sheaf of peacock arrows bright and keen
Under his belt he bore right carefully".

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 pm

The chronica Majora shows an archer shooting with arrows in the belt. To be fair, he was in a boat so couldn't stick them in the ground, but it does indicate that it was done.

Return to “1100-1500”