Has anyone seen these swords used?

Moderator: Moderators

yorkie1428

Has anyone seen these swords used?

Postby yorkie1428 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 pm

http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/produ ... Sword.html

they have a bit more description on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Practical-Sce ... 1e79603127

They sound confident of their Swords, but the weight concerns me - they are like .7 kg less than a Lancasters-armorie sword. Its kind of hard to tell from pictures so I wondered if anyone has any experience of this trader in terms of how useful their Swords may be for full contact.

Many thanks

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Re: Has anyone seen these swords used?

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm

I've never tried them, but the sword looks a bit 'clunky' and I always avoide weapons with a description like that. It might be worth trying if you live in Oz, but if you're UK based, I'd pay the bit extra for an Armour Class.

Best wishes

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Mon May 20, 2013 1:34 pm

The "Practical" name generally refers to mass-produced stuff by Hanwei, which arrives in the UK at about £30 wholesale. They're available from several places at about £60-80 including delivery by UK post.

In terms of durability, they have varied across the range from likely to break on first contact to something which will last a year or two, and maybe more if you are lucky. They are intended to be cheap, and are sold as starter weapons for those on a low budget, so you get what you pay for. Most of the people I know who have bought from this end of the market regretted it almost instantly.

As for the weight being 0.7Kg less than a Lancaster sword, that's irrelevant. With all due respect, Roger's swords are made to be durable, and so they are significantly heavier than just about anything else on the market. Compared to Armour Class or Heron Armouries, Roger's swords are about 50% heavier, although he does now offer lighter versions of some of his swords. Even the lightest of these are 25-50% heavier than the originals.

So, don't buy it unless you have picked it up, or know and trust the makers well enough that you are sure you will be happy with the result.

Finally, define "full contact" - if you mean full force blows and edge to edge contact, if your society doesn't ban this grade of weapon they're probably insane, but in my experience most people who claim to do "full contact" actually mean nothing of the sort, and in reality very few people would do so as life insurance and lifelong medical care are not cheap.

Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 pm

PaulMurphy wrote:The "Practical" name generally refers to mass-produced stuff by Hanwei, which arrives in the UK at about £30 wholesale. They're available from several places at about £60-80 including delivery by UK post.

Although these don't look anything like the Hanwei range - or anything like that style - so I'm guessing it's a different manufacturer just using practical as a description rather than a brandname.

Apart from that, I agree with everything else you said :-)

Errent Knight

Postby Errent Knight » Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm

I agree with the guys above. I wouldn't worry so much about the weight, it's the price that concerns me. They're too cheap.

We as a group have traditionally used L.A. swords. The first arming sword I bought, I got eight years out of it. And yes, that was "full contact" by Paul's definition. Training once a week for five years then twice a week for the last four. So, if you look at it that way, it's a pretty good investment.

Having said that, we have also recently begun to use armourclass swords and so far have been very happy with them. They may not be as bomb proof as Roger's swords, but, they are lighter, cheaper and come with a lifetime guarantee.

Hope that helps.

Luke.

yorkie1428

Postby yorkie1428 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, it does help a lot. Kind of confirms what I had thought really, I avoid off the shelf stuff usually having bought one of those as my first sword (and broke it within 3 or 4 training sessions) although this is marketed as something better I was suspiscious. I've since been through a couple of armour class and a Lankford sword over the last several years and was looking for something I can get to use this season and was willing to risk it a bit on the basis of getting it more quickly and more cheaply (the path to the dark side).

So, a new Lancaster sword it is!

Thanks

Errent Knight

Postby Errent Knight » Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Ah right. Sorry, I think we all assumed you were new to this game, our bad :$ Well, if you're after one quicker than they can make you one, keep an eye on the buy and sell section on here. When I broke my LA sword I got a replacement from there that was like new, even though it was one of Roger's older ones. Also, Armour Class swords tend to pop up fairly regularly, but you've got to be quick, they tend to get snapped up! Happy hunting.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:28 pm

ironhead will probably have a selection available at tewkesbury

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 am

yorkie1428 wrote:I wondered if anyone has any experience of this trader in terms of how useful their Swords may be for full contact.

To answer the original question, I have experience of this line of swords from this supplier and I would not recommend them. They are of the "sword shaped iron bars" variety.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

yorkie1428

Postby yorkie1428 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:38 pm

cheers, I'll be at tewkesbury after a couple years abesence so I'll hope to pick something up there. Thanks Zauberdachs; I was concerned that it would be that sort of sword

JG Elmslie

Postby JG Elmslie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

but the weight concerns me - they are like .7 kg less than a Lancasters-armorie sword.

that'll be because Lancasters armourie stuff is horribly overweight.... their "English Style War Sword", for example, is only just short of double the weight of a proper sword of the same dimensions.

that said, I would'nt trust the ones advertised on that website or ebay one inch either. I dont think they're actually by Henwei, but are rather milking on the "practical" name to suggest they are. Hanweis are, generally speaking significantly improved from what they were a few years back, and actually look semi-convincing nowadays - something that that ghastly lump does'nt. It rather strikse me as being the sort of S.L.O. that I wouldnt even hang on the wall. I certainly cant see a single redeeming factor in its design. the cross is just plain wrong (and if it is "a motled brass/zinc cross guard" as advertised, then its crappy materials as well as shite design.), the scrappy leather crochet grip's dodgy as hell, and the pommel is pretty crappy.
its only redeeming feature is the price. but if you really want to spend £60 on a sword, you get what you paid for. Namely, crap.

"she had the shy, retiring, almost virginal look of the professional nymphomaniac"

Return to “1100-1500”