Bannockburn 2014

Moderator: Moderators

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: Bannockburn 2014

Postby guthrie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:24 am

I think the simplest explanation is that it isn't going to be a re-enactment, but a big historically oriented entertainment event.

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 am

I think the simplest explanation is that it isn't going to be a re-enactment, but a big historically oriented entertainment event.

I think this may sum it up.

Assistant Battle Director
Carrick 800 Battle Re-enactment Society

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:53 pm

And there's not much wrong with that, as long as the public know what they are getting. I'm told there will be something happening at Stirling castle...somewhen...

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:And there's not much wrong with that, as long as the public know what they are getting. I'm told there will be something happening at Stirling castle...somewhen...

WHich something though? Like Eddward II riding up, knocking on the door then being told to go away?

Unfortunately, this being Scotland, the public don't much know or care what they are getting; authenticity is not their strong point; the lead needs to come from the organisers, speaking generally here. Of course anything we can do to make the public think authenticity is a good thing is also a good idea.

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:33 pm

There will indeed be an event at Stirling Castle hosted by Historic Scotland.

We (Carrick 800) will be there, along with Fire and Sword. Alas, it wont be a particularly large event as there is not a huge amount of space.

A good, large event will also be the Dunfermline Bruce Festival in August. Its a free annual event to the so is always well attended. It of course will be extra big on an anniversary year!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:42 pm

I might be along to Stirling as the token English knight, discussions are ongoing. Will be nice to spend an evening or several at Nicky Tams again but many hours sitting in a cell being poked with stick and having things thrown at me might not be so much fun....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Sooo, let me get this straight.
The same weekend, in the glorious historic city of Stirling, there will be just outside it, a 15k a day visitor event; inside it will be an armed forces day, with people bandying about numbers as high as 70k, and to finish it all off, an event at the Castle itself.

This is all a good reason not to go within 10 miles of Stirling that weekend. And all the locals should bail, because getting out and about is going to be impossible. It's messy at the best of times, what with it being centrally located and suchlike, but with all that going on forget it. No parking, queues at major junctions etc.

Edited to add - any room at the castle? Some of my lot might be more interested in that.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:01 pm

or a very good reason to go and enjoy the spectacle and entertainments. yes it might be hell for travel etc but might be a good experience. If I do go I'm going to courier my kit up directly, get a train and walk from the station!.

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Nope. Castle Event is at end of May. To my knowledge, the only re-enactment event on Bannockburn weekend is the one at Bannockburn.

Didn't they shift the Armed Forces Day so that there wouldn't be a clash? Even if, both events running could still work, as Bannockburn is a decent ways out of Stirling city.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Ues, should have said that, date is as above. Think Historic Scotland are sensibly avoiding the 'big' weekend

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Ah thanks, May is a sensible time to do some things like that.

However the armed forces day is, according to their own website, still on the 28th of June.

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Ues, should have said that, date is as above. Think Historic Scotland are sensibly avoiding the 'big' weekend

They're actually losing out, they've dropped one of their Linlithgow weekends for it, it seems. It'll still be busier here in Edinburgh that weekend haha!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Its always busier in Edinburgh.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Its always busier in Edinburgh.

That's very true.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Aaaannndd it's down to 2 days now, saturday and sunday, apparently partly due to all the other events happening at Stirling that weekend. And Visit Scotland is in overall charge now apparently. And it'll be open until 7pm...
I don't want to sound like a complete loser, but that'll make it what, a 9 hour day? Do-able, but extra pressure.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:47 pm

looks like the monday is back on now....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... h.23534017

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Yup, I heard about that weeks ago thanks to my insider information; the point is more that it'll be a sort of clan gathering rather than an open to the public type history day. Or that was the impression I got, the Herald article isn't much more informative, it would be nice to know exactly who will be getting in through the door.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:24 pm

now its getting all political..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-26405668

or is that more political than it was before. At that budget I'm surprised, but does it include marketing and other hidden costs? To be honest it smacks of so many other similar events on the go, lots of pretty toys and peripherals but not much thought to main content.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:38 pm

The thing is, only an idiot would expect large scale pre-event sales. FOr starters, not everyone will be coming from abroad and want to book in advance. Then there's the important point that this sort of event in Scotland simply doesn't have so much of a history or followers. Plus it's Scotland, some people will want to wait until the week before because of the weather or commitments of various kinds. So to expect massive sales beforehand is ludicrous. This isn't a pop concert, despite the employment of Unique events.
And the budget is surely ten times greater than has ever been spent any previous re-enactment.

And it always has been political. You can't have such a pivotal battle anniversary without it being political, but so far it seems the unionists are the ones being stupid about it, by deliberately scheduling the armed forces day on the same weekend.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Mark Griffin wrote: To be honest it smacks of so many other similar events on the go, lots of pretty toys and peripherals but not much thought to main content.

As I said above, it looks more like a history themed piece of entertainment and 'experience' than a re-enactment. What other content would you like to see? I'm not sure myself for once.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:16 pm

guthrie wrote:And the budget is surely ten times greater than has ever been spent any previous re-enactment.

Nor is it being spent on a re-enactment now.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Fox wrote:
guthrie wrote:And the budget is surely ten times greater than has ever been spent any previous re-enactment.

Nor is it being spent on a re-enactment now.

That's true; I assume that treating it like a major large event/ rock concert has associated costs.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 pm

A sad fact of the matter is that marshaling, toilets, marketing, security, police, first aid and a fair few other items, site office hire and staffing, planning formulation etc etc will suck up a lot of that budget.

And to think you used to turn up on a Friday evening, be given the site keys and be told to make sure it was still there Monday morning....

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:19 pm

It'll be interesting to get hold of the accounts in a year or two.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:A sad fact of the matter is that marshaling, toilets, marketing, security, police, first aid and a fair few other items, site office hire and staffing, planning formulation etc etc will suck up a lot of that budget.

I didn't mean that.

I meant the event is largely not a re-enactment; it's a very large festival of Scotishness, which just happens to have a reenactment as one of the entertainments.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 am

I'm just a bit bemused about who will be providing the large scale, brutally realistic reenactments and what their expectation is for large scale.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:09 am

Seems to be members of the various versions of the Clan directed by folk like Chick Allan. The lads who train in the local hall have been putting in extra schiltron practice, choreographed a fair number of longsword fights and have some lovely death faces and screams all prepared.

You may think it will end up looking like a schoolplay as a result; I couldn't possibly comment ;-)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 pm

The Clan seem to get a hard time for their accuracy (not my period so I cannot really comment) but when I watched them at Bannockburn a few years ago they were quite entertaining.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Wait, longswords? I was't aware of any evidence that the long and broad bladed swords of the time were used by infantry.

Steve - lots of us can be entertaining. It's just that it is nice if it's also somewhat accurate in its portrayal of the past.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:05 pm

That's the trouble with longswords in Scotland, once you've handled one, you want another. They're very claymore-ish.....

Return to “1100-1500”