Medieval surgeons and health practices

Moderator: Moderators

fh28

Medieval surgeons and health practices

Postby fh28 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi there to all, just wondered if I could get some advice. Been reenacting for a while now and have dabbled in areas of living history as i'm mainly combat. But now I would like to set up a medieval surgeon (battlefield wounds that kind of thing) and health treatment methods for use at home that were around in the 1400's.

It's going to be my winter project, so I was wondering if anyone knew any books or are currently doing a living history in this field. just like to ask a few questions and gain some knowledge to put me in the right direction.

Many thanks for your time guys and gals!

cheers

Frazer

Langley
Post Centurion

Re: Medieval surgeons and health practices

Postby Langley » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:23 am

Look for posts from "Brother Kevfael" on this site. He does some great shows for various periods and wrothe the book "Ouch!" A History of Treatment of Arrow Wounds.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:44 pm

fh28 wrote:Hi there to all, just wondered if I could get some advice. Been reenacting for a while now and have dabbled in areas of living history as i'm mainly combat. But now I would like to set up a medieval surgeon (battlefield wounds that kind of thing) and health treatment methods for use at home that were around in the 1400's.

Horrible Histories to the rescue again (as you have to remember what the Crusaders thought was healthy and what the Saracens thought was healthy was two very different kinds of healthy)

fh28

Postby fh28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:15 am

Ah is there anything horrible histories can't do! Love that show!! I'll keep on eye out for Brother Kevfael

Thanks.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 am

Loads of books about medieval medicine, the philosophy and practice. Try the Wellcome foundation for a book list.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Postby Lord High Everything Esle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

gregory23b wrote:Loads of books about medieval medicine, the philosophy and practice. Try the Wellcome foundation for a book list.

Join this
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chirurgeons/

Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

hobbitomm

Postby hobbitomm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:37 pm

If you want to read in the original, I recommend (a little late for you, since I do 16th C) Lowe, 'A whole course of chirurgerie' which is available in facimile (your library may be able to order it for you, since otherwise it's about 50 quid), and Pare's 'Journeys in Diverse Places' which is mostly a discussion of the life of a military surgeon in the mid 16th C is available online. And is hilarious.

Return to “1100-1500”