Kids shoes

Moderator: Moderators

DianeC

Kids shoes

Postby DianeC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm wanting some leather shoes for my 6 and 2 year old to reenact the war of the roses period. Someone told me there is a Scheme you can buy into which allows you to borrow shoes and then return them and get the next size up when needed. Anyone heard of it and knows more details? Thanks

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Re: Kids shoes

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm

As far as I know, that scheme closed down some years ago. It is a pitty, as something like that could be quite valuable to the re-enactment comunity. It might be worth trying the Buy and Sell section.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

hazyma

Postby hazyma » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:07 pm

I believe that recently someone in our group managed to get children's shoes from Pete at Plantagenet Shoes. I don't know if it was a special favour but the twins are definately running around in lovely little shoes!! :D

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:19 pm

What age/size? Are you looking for leather shoes?

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

the rental scheme run by Morgan finished before he retired. too many people just kept the shoes and stopped paying from what I heard so the scheme stopped.

however. I think you can join a similar scheme where you sell the shoes back and buy a new pair at a fair rate.

(thats what we do anyway)

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:58 pm

The rental thing was an excellent idea, but as we have two kids we decided to buy because we'll get plenty of use out of them. We've found that because medieval shoes are not very 'structured' they last a lot longer before kids grow out of them than modern shoes, and that there are several suppliers of very reasonably priced kids shoes and that there is plenty of demand for the cast-offs.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 am

Pete at Plantagenet has indeed transmuted Morgan's rental scheme into a buy and sell back. My grandson's new shoes arrived just this morning after we sent the originals back, Pete looked them over then gave us a good price in part exchange. So, right now he has a pair of 15th C size Child's 9 secondhand unless someone has got in already and grabbed them.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:34 pm

I tried the rental scheme as a trader and found it was really not worth while. I got in the stock and then almost no one took up the offer. This was some time ago but I wouldn't do it again. I do sell childrens sizes, usually to order.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I think that the 'buy-back' model is much more sensible. Good on Pete for getting it going.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

DianeC

Postby DianeC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 am

Hi sorry I've not replied sooner but I haven't had any notifications that anyone had replied. Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them further. Thanks again.

Return to “1100-1500”