Yet another newbie in need of advice

Moderator: Moderators

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Re: Yet another newbie in need of advice

Postby Simon Atford » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi Cora. Welcome to the mad house etc.

Most groups do meet up over the winter months for training sessions etc. and usually an annual banquet.

The reason this is probbally not mentioned on group webistes is that they are primarly aimed at potential employers and the general public. If you join up you will be let into all sorts of secrets :wink:

Good luck :rock:

AngelaD

Postby AngelaD » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi Cora,

My family and I belong the The Medieval Combat Society. It's a family orientated group, do dancing, archery & living history as well the fighting. About half of the members have kids that all join in as well. We meet every other weekend in the winter and have a banquet in the spring. If you google the name you can find a list of events for the rest of the year.

Actually if you can go to the Tewksbury battle in July (can't remember the date but it's on google too!) then lots of different medieval groups will be joining together for a big event.

Hope that helps
Angela

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:19 am

try out a few groups before you make a commitment - !

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:56 am

Tewkesbury is Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th July.

We (the Company of Chivalry) will be there as well. You'll find most medieval groups are pretty family friendly, even the more combat orientated ones. Afterall the child of today is the soldier of tommorrow :)

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 am

Some of us, Wythe Retinue, are based in Bucks although the rest of the group is around the MIdalands. Have a look - www.wythe-retinue.org.uk. We have several families with teenagers as members. Primarily we are gunners but do all sorts of events and standalone shows. We will be at Tewkesbury and Midlands History Festival (one of us is the Powder Master for that). We do our research and museum visits etc over the winter along with Make and Mend sessions. Most groups get together in the off season.

re-enactment groups tend to become family you will find. Try out a few, get to know people, find out what the group does - some are fighting only, others do a lot of tal;king to the public, museum interpretation, even schools work etc. I got started because one of my sons, then 14 wanted to do it. He has long since given up but I am still hooked and met my second wife through re-enacting at an event in Holland.

Welsome to a great hobby!

QuirkyJezza

Postby QuirkyJezza » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 am

I am also a member of the Medieval Combat Society and would highly recommend it to you :)

Here is our website if you are interested. Feel free to join our forum http://www.themcs.org/index.htm

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 am

You going to make it to Tewkesbury Cora or abandoning the faithful to go to Kelmarsh? either way, you will meet a lot of good folks.

Return to “1100-1500”