Book of Hours help

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Book of Hours help

Postby Graham Ashford » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:03 am

Hello all

Being the sucker for punishment that I am I am planning on slowly (very slowly) writing my own book of hours.

I plan on using parchment for it and keeping it to text with some emphasis on capitilization and red letters for decoration as its mostly the text I enjoy rather than the illumination. I am using parchment simply because vellum is too expensive for me to use and paper was not too widely used in England about this time c1350 (Margaret Sharp - Jodrell Deed).

The part I am struggling with though is the contents. I have drawn up the following running order mostly from the University of Texas and Austin pages found here: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/enews/2010/ju ... hours.html

Calendar
The Gospels
Psalms (Penital and Gradual 6, 32, 38, 51, 52, 102, 130, 143 & 120-134)
Prayers to the Virgin
Litany
Offices of the dead

But am having serious trouble translating original texts from the scribes hand writing (for example: http://norman.hrc.utexas.edu/mnemGal/4/HRC_4.pdf) and wondered if any transcribed versions exist where the original text has been transcribed into a more readable modern font that I can then use?

Ideally I am after texts from the mid 14th century but am happy to step in and around that date as it's the creation of the book I am more interested in that the actual contents, but I would like to try and keep it contemporary to my reenactment period if at all possible.

Can any help point me in the correct direction, offer advice or help.

Kindest regards

Graham

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Re: Book of Hours help

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Get a copy of "Marking the Hours", excellent book from the same fella who wrote "Stripping the Alters"

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Langley
Post Centurion

Re: Book of Hours help

Postby Langley » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Have a look at the Scriptorium. I am sure if you contact Steve who runs it he will be able to help. thescriptorium.co.uk/

Return to “1100-1500”