Female headcoverings

Moderator: Moderators

christiana m

Female headcoverings

Postby christiana m » Tue May 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Greetings all, I am in search of 14th c. woman's head covering patterns or ideas. Every where I look I'm not fiding good resources.
Please help,
Christiana

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Re: Female headcoverings

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed May 09, 2012 8:31 am

According to Sara Thursfield, in the Medieval tailor's assistant,for the simplest versions to do,you would want either a knotted kerchief- either 70cm square, knot the two adjacent corners at the back of the head and allow the rest to fall back over the knot ( can pin to hair), or 70 cm by 120 cm knot the corners of the short end at the back of the head, allow the rest to fall back over the the knot, then bring the lower end of the rest back up over the head, ensuring the back of the neck is still covered, and pin at the sides..
Or a wrapped kerchief ( from 1200 onwards) 45 by 120, drape one end over the head, tucking in the folds which form over the forehead, bring the long end under the chin, round the back, and tuck in the end at the front again- this one stays in place well without pins if you wind it carefully and tuck in the ends firmly.

book here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... Caps%2C396

always a useful tome to have.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Sarah's been doing some research lately about women's head coverings. If you can aford it, I'd recomend getting a day booked in her workroom and you'll be amazed what you can learn.

Best way to contact her is through her website (http://www.sarahthursfield.com).

Best wishes

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Lady Willow

Postby Lady Willow » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Here is a link to a site which has a good basic pattern which I found works very well.

slumberland.org/sca/articles/how_to_make_a_wimple.pdf

... or Google ''How to make a wimple'' and it takes to you a number of how-to sites.

"When the facts change, I change my position. What do you do, sir?" John Keynes

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Some more possibilities for you, depending on what sort of portrayal you typically do - a goffered (frilled) veil for a particularly well-to-do lady, or this simple cap which would work well for a working woman. You could also consider a hood.

These links can help you figure out some different combinations of veils and wimples, and which may work best for you. (My favorite resource is this set of photos from a class.) There's also several bloggers who experiment with different headcoverings for 14th century women; Edyth Miller is a fairly good read.

(When I do 14th century, I tend to wear a linen coif as the bottom layer, and then pin the wimple & veil onto that.)

Return to “1100-1500”