Clothing for childeren

Moderator: Moderators

uksimes
Post Knight

Clothing for childeren

Postby uksimes » Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 pm

My 11 year old daughter is very keen to join in with our camp life. What sort of clothing would a low status child be wearing in a WOTR camp? I assume a coif, kirtle, smock and shoes? And can anyone recommend a good supplier?

I'm a "bendy-stick wielding little sod", and proud of it!

Discourse ye unto the hand, for verily the face listeneth not.

EnglishArcher

Re: Clothing for childeren

Postby EnglishArcher » Mon May 07, 2012 2:08 pm

What do you mean by 'low status'?

Vagrant
Day labourer
Husbandman
Yeoman
Esquire
Knight
Minor nobility

Whatever the status a child's clothing is generally a smaller version of an adult's. The lower down the social scale you get the coarser and looser the wool, the rougher then linen and the less colour you would find.

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 pm

What he says.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Sun May 13, 2012 4:00 pm

You might also want to add to that a coat (and depending on when you are in this period a hood) and an apron or two

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Sun May 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Jenn wrote:You might also want to add to that a coat (and depending on when you are in this period a hood) and an apron or two

The hood should be neck-length (maybe slightly longer, to the shoulder) and open; possibly with buttons.

The closed, deep-cape hood worn by (soooo) many female re-enactors is a man's hood (from the 14thC, into the early 15thC). I know of very little - if any - evidence to support women wearing deep, closed hoods.

I guess it depends whether you want to look like all the other re-enactors, or not.

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Return to “1100-1500”