Medieval girls clothing

Moderator: Moderators

salls

Medieval girls clothing

Postby salls » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 pm

I have recently become living history officer for my reenactment society. We have a 8-9 year old girl join with her mum this year and I haven't been able to find much information on the subject or many manuscript images. If any one has any info or images with images between 1350 and 1400 (we do 1370). As far as I know children of that sort of age usually just wore smaller versions of adult clothing. I also have a question about head coverings, from what age would girls/women be expected to cove there hair and what sort of thing, just a standard veil or something else?

Thanks for reading.

The Methley Archer

Re: Medieval girls clothing

Postby The Methley Archer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm can't answer for your period as I do WOTR's, but my girls, 7 and 10, are both dressed according to adult standards.

Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

alex lee

Postby alex lee » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 pm

I think that young girls were able to wear their hair long, below the shoulder, from 13 or 14 the would wear a simple kerchief :) Ill try post up references soon, Im in the middle of doing my final project for college on headwear and hair styles :)

AngelaD

Postby AngelaD » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

My daughter is seven and our medieval period is 1330 - 1360. She (daughter) wears a basic dress very similair to mine. It comes to just above her ankles though as she does love to run around and I think that medieval peasant girls would not have had a new dress every year so they would have been outgrowing them.

Most of the time she just wears her hair look - it is almost waist length so that is a bit of a struggle to brush at the end of the day :roll:

But I believe she could also wear a cap, a straight plait or flowers in her hair (appropriate to season lol)

Return to “1100-1500”