Adding some colour to 1360 - flag, banners etc ..

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Adding some colour to 1360 - flag, banners etc ..

Postby Graham Ashford » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Hello all

I am part of a group that as a display based around the fait d'armes of the 1360's or so and we would like to add some colours to our tents in the form of any flags, pennants, banners etc .. that we might be allowed to display at this time. But looking into it as much as I have time to is really just adding to the confusion.

For the most part we are armoured soldiers/man at arms (horses are off being cleaned). We don't have any named individuals in the group. Our camp area are a couple of white tents from Past Tents that are white and we are adding some colour to prior to the season. But we'd like some fluttering stuff about but as I understand there are strict laws regarding these and we can't simply fly what we'd like.

Most of our members are based inbetween Portsmouth and SOuthampton, which I believe was under Arundel at this time.

ANy ideas on what we can flutter about the site to bring a splash of colour to things?

If you need anymore informaton I will answer all I can to help?

Kind regards and thanks for any assistance as I am floundering a bit with this one.

Graham

BYDAND

Re: Adding some colour to 1360 - flag, banners etc ..

Postby BYDAND » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:47 am

From what I can see, you have the option of red, black and white, or blue and gold. The heraldic symbol being a swift or bird of some similar type.

I must admit I have never heard of strict restriction on what colours you can have in your encampment. I have always followed my family name in role, so I have been fortunate in having colours to work to. However my tent does not match those colours. This I guess would be the issue for your group if none of you have taken on the embodiment of a titled knight or lord, but you are under a title "Arundel". so more than that I can't help you.

James

Bespoke armour made by BYDAND Armouries.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Military banners and flags are not heraldic, they may use heraldic devices but are not governed by heraldry.
Flags banners, pennons etc come in a range of fruit flavours depending on country, time and context of use.

Why not have a simple pennon with the key colours and device of your governing lord.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:26 pm

opps i posted this on the wrong thread before :crazy:

its wargame flags etc but some of these guys are as anal about being authentic as the best re-enactor

http://krigsspil.dk/download/download_3.html

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Graham Ashford wrote:Hello all

I am part of a group that as a display based around the fait d'armes of the 1360's or so and we would like to add some colours to our tents in the form of any flags, pennants, banners etc .. that we might be allowed to display at this time. But looking into it as much as I have time to is really just adding to the confusion.

For the most part we are armoured soldiers/man at arms (horses are off being cleaned). We don't have any named individuals in the group. Our camp area are a couple of white tents from Past Tents that are white and we are adding some colour to prior to the season. But we'd like some fluttering stuff about but as I understand there are strict laws regarding these and we can't simply fly what we'd like.

Why not? People don't start getting really sniffy about coats of arms until after the muddyevil period, reading various heraldic rolls yer kernigits could be carrying versions of or even totally different arms at seperate events and it wasn't uncommon for guys from unrelated families to use the same designs, 'differencing' was done on aesthetic grounds (Reversing colours, strategic placement of mullets, wounds fleur d'lilse etc) rather than by any hard and fast set of rules.
Some of the groups of old used to get v.possessive almost akin to gang colours (Actually threatened with physical violence by another groups 'officer' for having a gurt big strangled duck on our banner!) and if you are part of SCA Inc they have their own very complicated rules on heraldry.

Best find a badge rather than a CoA though, especially if you are PBI or non 'noble' donkey wallopers, either of a local town if they are known or a local lord of choice. The Fitz wotzits Earls of Arundel had a white horse as a badge usually on a red and white ground but the medieval ship 'supporter' on So't'ons town arms would make a fair badge, Pompy's golden crescent and star on blue would make a good fluttery thing too.
The supporters (beasties or things either side of the shield) or the helmet crest (daft thing on the hat on top of the shield) turn up as badges on pennants and standards and often but not always the wreath or mantle (twisty cloth thing or ragged flowing cloth thing on the helmet) are the 'livery' colours.

How bout a saints banner instead.....G23B could do you a lovely gilded Michael with the right encouragement =o)

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 am

what he said

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:14 am

Good source, just be careful how you render them, many of those are in modern style, check back with period versions to see how they vary.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Return to “1100-1500”