Fighting archers

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Fighting archers

Post by Tod »

I tried to find the old thread on this with no luck.
At the week end the Capt of Archers told the archers that is we drew a weapon we would be stomped by the bill men etc. Needless to say as far as I could see I was the only archer who stood and fought (died in about 2 seconds).
For all you archers out there. The chap who killed me didn't try and hurt me, we did the eye contact and a nod at each other and he killed me with his bill, I'd drawn my sword and stood no chance. I did pin my fingers betwen his bill and my armour but that was my fault not his. This is maybe the fourth time I've been killed and to date no one has come at me like a nutter.
But if we are going to have some one who is our officer telling us we are going to get stomped it WILL put people off. The fact he was IMO in the totally the wrong kit for a WOTR battle is by the by. The fact is most of the bill men/man at arms on the field were from the Fed and they have archers in their own groups and aren't out to hurt you. They know we have less armour (maybe only a padded jack) and will fight accordingly. I put my trust in them, like every one I have work on Monday.

Langley
Post Centurion

Re: Fighting archers

Post by Langley »

If all else fails Tod, fight the Gloucesters. I trained them in the art of killing me gently years ago... (Why do I feel a song coming on?). You are right though - I have always been treated in a very gentlemanly way and blows suited to the amount of protection have been the norm. Even better - draw your sword only when chasing down the loosers in the rout then you get to kill them.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Fighting archers is the way our group want to go -- well certainly train-up so that we have the option :-) It looks good to the public and adds an extra dimension all round. If it was not an option, then why did archers mostly carry side arms?

On the occasions when I have done it, I have never feared injury. On the contrary, the guys who have finished me off have been truely courteous and safe.

I was once told that archers were good runners and opportunists. Me run? Not in my character -- although it could also be something to be with my fitness.

I can only suspect that the capt of archers referred to must have limited hand to hand experiences.
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"They know we have less armour (maybe only a padded jack) and will fight accordingly."

There is no reason for the average 'bill man' to be better armoured than an archer.

Ideally, no archer should be on the field without a jack and sallet (regardless of actual prevalence in musters etc etc), otherwise it adds to the recurring reenactment myth that they don't/didn't fight.

A good jack, (see Johnny Waller and his Oxford lot for excellent jacks), is better than just a breast plate as it gives you decent protection front and back and arms, chappies with just a breast and sallet have more exposed parts.

Archers should feel and be as well protected as anyone else, but until those that shoot, despite not fighting, actually get their fingers out or are pushed to, they they will look like naked men who simply can't fight. Not to mention the bill block thing anyway, but that is for another time.

Glad you had a good fight experience though, always good when the opponent is a good egg.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Well I was a "billman" and I wore a jack, a sallet and a maille standard, I did run away, I hid behind the water bearers, then in the crowd and finally got to surrender, so there.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

But you are not normal, are you dear?
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Anybody who wears a Fez ...............................

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Fez's are cool.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Type16

Post by Type16 »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Fez's are cool.
Cuba!
When upsidedown & fullof ice & white wine. Sorry, thinking of an ice bucket.

No more diversions from me :-)

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

i have a fez ]:)

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

EVERYONE should have at least one fez. One for best and a spare in case of sudden insurrections is my usual contingent.

As for archers getting minced....much as I dislike the bendy-stick wielding little sods, anyone who deliberately engages anyone else on the field with anything other than controlled blows appropriate to the opponents armour (or lack thereof) should be taken from said field and given a bloody good hiding......

I mean 'talking to'.
Last edited by Medicus Matt on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I never said that I was here to help."

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

[quote="gregory23b

A good jack, (see Johnny Waller and his Oxford lot for excellent jacks)[/quote]

Mine is from TPAC and is OK, just wish it was a bit longer and that I had opted for another closing method to hooks and eyes. Paul and Bryan's are home made - it has only taken Bryan 7 years to finish his! I may need to make another as my lad keeps nicking mine to go and play with the billmen.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

I got mine from Cloaked and Daggered and I put way too many buckles on it so it takes too long to get off, but I copied a picture (I think they were thinner and fitter than me). I've seen the chap in Oxfords with the hand made ones, mine is hand finished and has hand sewn seams, Angie has put more lines on it and we still have more work to do to get it to the level I want.

Goose

Post by Goose »

Never had any of those issues.

I am a combatant and an Archer. Sometimes I have been known to be dark age, Dark Age, DARK AGE :devil: Heavy Artillery (3 Javelins, Bow & Arrows, Sword, Axe, knife, Shield, Maille) but that is just for silliness.

Essentially the main thing is to know how to fight, and what to expect. So when the opponent tries to run you down, you can protect yourself without getting hurt. Oh and then hand them their *rse on a plate, they look very shocked when you do that 8-)
When judgment day comes, don't forget to ask for a refund..........

uksimes
Post Knight

Post by uksimes »

Surely anyone on 'the field of battle' has had some training, and is sufficiently attired?

I have seen Archers fall down dead (or at least, swoon away)at the approach of a pole, or sword, and seen others, usually better prepared with arming jack, buckler, and either sallet or kettlehead helmet, give as good as they get...and then die.
I'm a "bendy-stick wielding little sod", and proud of it!

Discourse ye unto the hand, for verily the face listeneth not.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

uksimes wrote:Surely anyone on 'the field of battle' has had some training, and is sufficiently attired?
You would hope so but its not the case. It depends what groups are there and who is organising the event.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Medicus Matt wrote:EVERYONE should have at least one fez.
I thought you might bring me a nice one when you went abroad, but you didn't.
I stay here doing the washing and the cleaning, while you're swanning around drink gin and tonic in the sunshine, and you couldn't even bring me a nice hat.
Well next time, you can scrub your own underpants!

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Tod wrote:I got mine from Cloaked and Daggered and I put way too many buckles on it so it takes too long to get off, but I copied a picture (I think they were thinner and fitter than me). I've seen the chap in Oxfords with the hand made ones, mine is hand finished and has hand sewn seams, Angie has put more lines on it and we still have more work to do to get it to the level I want.
Cloak'd and Dagger'd jacks are 100% hand stitched [unless you specifically requested something else].

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Fox wrote:I thought you might bring me a nice one when you went abroad, but you didn't.
I stay here doing the washing and the cleaning, while you're swanning around drink gin and tonic in the sunshine, and you couldn't even bring me a nice hat.
Well next time, you can scrub your own underpants!
I bought many things for many people. They're all still there, either mouldering in my room or being worn by the effigy of me that is no doubt being paraded around Ain Zara.

If you're going to be churlish about it, I shall forgo the underpants altogether.
"I never said that I was here to help."

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Fox wrote:
Tod wrote:I got mine from Cloaked and Daggered and I put way too many buckles on it so it takes too long to get off, but I copied a picture (I think they were thinner and fitter than me). I've seen the chap in Oxfords with the hand made ones, mine is hand finished and has hand sewn seams, Angie has put more lines on it and we still have more work to do to get it to the level I want.
Cloak'd and Dagger'd jacks are 100% hand stitched [unless you specifically requested something else].
Nope, every thing is hand sewn, and then hand finished, by which I mean fitted. Which is why Jackie (Cloak'd and Dagger'd) makes all my clothing (except what Angie makes, and as she is my girlfriend I get rather nice stuff, I think you get the same deal from Jackie).

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

John Waller wrote:[quote="gregory23b

A good jack, (see Johnny Waller and his Oxford lot for excellent jacks)
Mine is from TPAC and is OK, just wish it was a bit longer and that I had opted for another closing method to hooks and eyes. Paul and Bryan's are home made - it has only taken Bryan 7 years to finish his! I may need to make another as my lad keeps nicking mine to go and play with the billmen.[/quote]

so drop it in over christmas and Debs will put points in it for you (you only had to ask)
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Goose wrote:Never had any of those issues.

I am a combatant and an Archer. Sometimes I have been known to be dark age, Dark Age, DARK AGE :devil: Heavy Artillery (3 Javelins, Bow & Arrows, Sword, Axe, knife, Shield, Maille) but that is just for silliness.

Essentially the main thing is to know how to fight, and what to expect. So when the opponent tries to run you down, you can protect yourself without getting hurt. Oh and then hand them their *rse on a plate, they look very shocked when you do that 8-)
yes but you is differant to a lot of C15th archery types
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Gagglewrangler

Post by Gagglewrangler »

Nigel wrote:yes but you is differant to a lot of C15th archery types
[/quote]

too right there Nigel, Goose is unique, this world couldnt cope with any more than that at one time 8-)