Rings on belts...

Moderator: Moderators

Jim Smith

Rings on belts...

Postby Jim Smith » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 pm

I've recently seen some re-enactors (C15) wearing metal rings hanging from theior belts by a leather strap. I was wondering what these were for and if they are in fact correct. Possibly a hanger for a sidearm?

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

acecat999
Post Centurion

Re: Rings on belts...

Postby acecat999 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:49 pm

sword hanger

but a maglite fits in there very well.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

matilda

Postby matilda » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

well, they're sold as sword hangers, I have one, but don't use it - because the sword hangs straight down and trips me up (doesn't take much :crazy: ) also if you're battling the weapon falls out......

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows - Jennifer Yane

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:49 pm

I seem to recall discussion on them before on this forum.
The teeny tinsy wee problem with such a thing as a sword hanger is that the sharp sword can then cut your leg...

You can put an axe in one if you like, but I don't recall anyon putting forwards much evidence that they were used for swords or anything else.

Anthony of the MSS

Postby Anthony of the MSS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 am

"how a man shall be armed" mentions this as being used for a dagger when in FULL harness in order for a quick draw.

As you say they shouldn't be used for swords etc and not without leg harness

John Waller
Post Knight

Re:

Postby John Waller » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 am

Anthony of the MSS wrote:"how a man shall be armed" mentions this as being used for a dagger when in FULL harness in order for a quick draw.

Actually it's for a short sword :- And then his shorte swerde upon the lyfte side in a rounde rynge all nakid and pylle it oute lightli. The dagger is hung on the right side And then hange his daggere upon his right side no mention of a ring or scabbard for the dagger. The context is for a man in a tourney not on a battlefield.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Kane101

Postby Kane101 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 am

i've use one to hang a short fighting axe from but like most i've stop using it cut it gets caught up in my legs and end up holding the axe while on the march.

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." Jack BURTON

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 am

Ah ha, thank you. So like a lot of things, they should only be used within a specific context, i.e. when wearing full plate, and probably not whilst riding a horse. The hanging dagger perhaps means the dagger is in its sheath hanging from the belt.

Dave B
Post Knight

Re:

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Anthony of the MSS wrote:"how a man shall be armed" mentions this as being used for a dagger when in FULL harness in order for a quick draw.

I'm still not convinced that these rings were ever used just to have an unsheathed blade stuck through. I thought that the rings on harness belts then hung a scabard, but allowing it to swivel as the blade was drawn, like this one

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Chris, yclept John Barber

Postby Chris, yclept John Barber » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 pm

I find mine invaluable for my warhammer. Others in our group use them for axes. I think they're good for anything with a short shaft with a wider head. As noted by others, a sharp sword would be a bit hazardous but a haft won't do any harm.

Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Re: Re:

Postby Fox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm still not convinced that these rings were ever used just to have an unsheathed blade stuck through.

I confess likewise; my brief dalliance with one many, many years ago led me to the conclusion that the blade simply falls out any time you try to do anything dynamic.

So how do we interpret...
And then his shorte swerde upon the lyfte side in a rounde rynge all nakid and pylle it oute lightli.

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Well silly me - I always thought they were for keeping your fox tail neatly attached...

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:10 pm

I have a metal one and a leather one, but only use it for an axe or short sword when walking around camp.

When in combat even a small axe can get in the way or fall out. And its not unknown for your opponent to "borrow" it from your belt :o

I suspect they are a reenactment only product as a cheep and simple alternative to a scabbard.
Dare I say it but they are very popular in the LARP world.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 am

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 pm

a look at some of the feast scenes in the Beachamp Pageant show them being used by servitors. (at least i think they are!)

We use them for theatrical purposes as they make a nice 'ching' when you draw your weapon. Now that's authenticity for you!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”