Table Supports

Moderator: Moderators

Clarenceboy

Table Supports

Postby Clarenceboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Just wanted to see if anyone had some sources for various table support systems. I have seen plenty of images of the three legs set at 45 degrees to each other double tressel supports and the 'A' shape leg combined with a cross piece and single leg but I was wondering if anyone had seen any images of a very simple design I wanted to try.

What I was looking it is a simple design of two crossed pieces of plank with the top and bottom cut at 45 degrees so they sit evenly on the ground and against the table. Crossed to form an 'X' with a bracing bar spanning the gap between the two sets of legs.

Does anyone know if this was actually used or is it just a re-enactorism so you can make some easy simple legs?

Captain Reech

Re: Table Supports

Postby Captain Reech » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Cor, went to lunch and came back to the answer!

Yep thats about right except that I plan to have mine with just a single cross bar running through the center of the 'X' that way I figure it will be easier to take apart, flat pack and transport. Just got to decide if I attach the top of the 'X' to a brace which rests on the underside of the table or if the 'arms' of the X just sit flush to it.

Thanks a lot for the source and the super quick reply!

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Captain Reech wrote:http://usera.imagecave.com/NikonLady/Winchester-Cathedral/MedievalTable.jpg

Like this one?

My mum had a table like that, back in the ummmm.... whenever :D ! Legs were hinged to the top at one side, with a stop-block at the other. Went to the skip years ago :cry: .

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:51 pm

that sounds like the table dilligaf made me........................... rather cheaply. considering if i made it myself it would still be a tree,

http://www.dilligafbedsnboxes.co.uk/5.html

(he can owe me a pint for the quick advertisement)

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Return to “1100-1500”