Medieval distillation

Moderator: Moderators

Jim Smith

Medieval distillation

Postby Jim Smith » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Decided to embark on something a little bit different - distillation. I now have one of Mr Newbolt's pottery stills and am looking forward to producing rosewater etc. One thing is lacking. Jim informs me that I need glass vials to attach to the end of the allembic to collect the distillate. I tried looking at Kelmarsh for these but without success. Anyone got any ideas as to where I could find 'em? All suggestions gratefully received.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

The Methley Archer

Re: Medieval distillation

Postby The Methley Archer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Sorry, I cant help Jim.

I was just wondering if this Rose water is the same as holy water from knock :wink: :wink:

Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 pm

I've bought glass bottles from various continental glassblowers that appear at the fairs occasionally, but my nicest ones come from the Roman glassblowers (they do medieval shapes to). However, when I'm using my alembic, I collect into a glazed pottery vessel first and decant into glass later, its just what fits best with my particular alembic.

For your first go, try something like rosemary rather than roses, lots more essential oil in it so you get a good result easily whearas roses can be a bit tricky to get right whilst you are getting used to yor still

Ness

Postby Ness » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:05 pm

I also have one of Jim's alembics and bought my glass vials from Roman Glassmakers, I think it was at TORM.

They do some medieval free-blown glass vessels - http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/gallery.htm and the large on the left of the picture fits perfectly over the spout on the alembic. I just use a small piece of leather to tie it on just in case!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 pm

You don't need glass, properly glazed pottery will do. I have used some of the hand made stuff from the Roman Glassmakers Ness reccomends. Just don't heat it much, otherwise it will break. They are usually at Torm with a selection of glassware.

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks for the advice/suggestions guys. Will now arrange to acquire some of this stuff.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and

insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any

way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Return to “1100-1500”