Wood for Poleaxe

Moderator: Moderators

julesheath

Wood for Poleaxe

Postby julesheath » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi could anyone give any suggestions for what type of wood I should be using to put together a poleaxe and where I might be able to obtain it?
Thanks

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Wood for Poleaxe

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 am

Ash and it depends where you live. There are timber suppliers on the internet, there are often shafts available at the markets or, if you live in the North of England, there is John Bodies at Boroughbridge.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 am

julesheath wrote:Hi could anyone give any suggestions for what type of wood I should be using to put together a poleaxe and where I might be able to obtain it?
Thanks

This is going to sound like an odd question, but what are you going to use it for?
Then perhaps people can suggest some appropriate pros and cons for different options.

julesheath

Postby julesheath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 am

Fox wrote:
julesheath wrote:Hi could anyone give any suggestions for what type of wood I should be using to put together a poleaxe and where I might be able to obtain it?
Thanks

This is going to sound like an odd question, but what are you going to use it for?
Then perhaps people can suggest some appropriate pros and cons for different options.

I'm a History teacher and I'm using it for a Medieval day at school. I'm not going to be hitting anyone with it (I've asked, but the head won't let me, says I should just give them detentions like everyone else), but I want it to look as good as possible.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Then it seems like your primary concerns might be that it's a real piece of wood (rather than some spliced, fake pole like you'd get from IKEA et al), it should probably be the right sort of weight (so not something flimsy, like a piece of curtain dowl from B&Q) and probably a pale colour (rather than an obvious new world red colour, for instance).

Ash, as Neil suggests, would meet all those criterea, and is probably one of the authentic choices for the job.
It can be a little pricey, but if it's only ever for one pole, then even a very long ash pole should be less than £20 (possibly closer to £10).

Chandlers shops are an alternative to wood merchants if you live near canal.
I think someone once said that Machine Mart do ash poles.... :eh: I'll have to go and check...

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

What part of the country are you in?

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

julesheath

Postby julesheath » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Dave B wrote:What part of the country are you in?

Birmingham

Billman

Postby Billman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm

You could try pm'ing chrisanson (find him in the members list), he's in Dudley. I got my last lot of shafts from him.

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Postby chrisanson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Billman wrote:You could try pm'ing chrisanson (find him in the members list), he's in Dudley. I got my last lot of shafts from him.

did someone call? :)

Return to “1100-1500”