Badge found on Bosworth Battlefield

Moderator: Moderators

Honourius III

Badge found on Bosworth Battlefield

Post by Honourius III »

Hi All
I was fortunate enough to attend a series of lectures on The Wars of the Roses called “Blood and Roses” at Christ College Oxford from 24 to 27 March.
There were many eminent and excellent speakers, one of which was ill and could not attend but his presentation was put on by Professor Anne Curry. The presentation was very good and full of facts. However she put up a picture of the Bird badge found on the Windmill hill site of the battlefield. If you remember this badge ownership was mooted on this Forum last year.

This Badge she attributed to John La Zouche.
Does anybody know about this man, if so could this be his badge?
Attachments
Badge 1.jpg

Elenna DeVargr

Re: Badge found on Bosworth Battlefield

Post by Elenna DeVargr »

I'm studying the Derbyshire gentry during the Wars of the Roses and making the guidons (small standard) and badges that represented them. I do have information on Zouche and his standard and badges.

John Zouche, sone and heir of the Lord Zouche. Parted black and purpure; a silver eagle with a label, resting on the trunk of a tree raguly gold and sprouting. Sprinkled with eight asses heads silver, having golden halters and label.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff98 ... zouche.jpg

Badge 1. on a branch of a tree, sprouting vert an eagle rising argent gorged with a label of three points.
Badge 2. an asses head erased argent, halted or, charged with a label of three points.

It's difficult to tell by the piece if it was to do with Zouche as it seems very damaged.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

It's mine. I thought I had dropped it behind the sofa. Thanks for picking it up.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Honourius III

Post by Honourius III »

You will have to fight Richard Mackindly for it at Bosworth then, he says its his.

Honourius III

Post by Honourius III »

Thanks Ellena
It looks a possible badge for John Zouche. So may be they are right.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Come to think of it that does look like the crap one I threw away because it didn't look quite right.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

Elenna DeVargr wrote: It's difficult to tell by the piece if it was to do with Zouche as it seems very damaged.
It's been very, very stripped
Battery acid, probably Image
Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

KedlestonCraig

Post by KedlestonCraig »

yes it's too damaged to make any kind of call and having seen it in the flesh, so to speak, it's also very small. Is it definitely an individual badge and not part of a larger piece?
Elenna is a big authority on all things Derbyshire gentry - it ill be interesting to see her collection when it is done.
I'm still alive - just spending time with my wife and daughter :-)

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

well if you close one eye and squint it could be an eagle.....and we all know who used an eagle, that dastardly Lord Stanley
"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

dastardly - surely you mean lovely?!

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Post by Brother Ranulf »

In another thread (not sure where on here) I showed that this was definitely an eagle badge, which was often used as a rebus for people named John through the Christian association of the eagle and St John the evangelist.
Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

CraigofYork

Post by CraigofYork »

it looks like the eagle has it's wings spread and is using it's beak to scratch it's back - as if the fellow making it was looking at an eagle as he cast the badge, but the eagle moved at the last minute