your opinion on swords?

Moderator: Moderators

CraigofYork

your opinion on swords?

Postby CraigofYork » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm

i was thinking about swords....does anyone rate kasto or kovex for their swords?

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Re: your opinion on swords?

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 pm

There are some posts on this forum and in the general history forum about swords.
One is a question along your own lines regarding Kovex Arms.
I always advice people joining the group I do events with (a WOTR Fed member) that for the same price a s a decent quality sword you can buy two or three equally servicable polearms which will be of much more use to you in the long run.
As with any kit its best to if possible wait and buy the very best you can because it'll look and last longer (I won't say feel better because I've not yet found a re-enacment sword that moves like the real deal).

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 pm

sound advice, i'll have a look at the other thread - cheers marcus

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 am

sorry if you've found what your looking for. But the last two kovex blades my group have bought (in 2010) have been like playdough and they always seemed really over priced. I've had a kasto blade for a year now and know a couple more people with them, they are quite cheap mine was £140 for a hand and a half. but you need to hammer the edges gently for a while before you use it and then for the first 6 months(ish) just to work hardned them -thats what i found anyway- but thats just what i think. :)

KedlestonCraig

Postby KedlestonCraig » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:36 pm

If you're set on a sword, save up some more and get something like an Armour Class or a Heron. The build quality is much better, they are closer reproductions and from a financial perspective they hold their value more, should you wish to sell further down the line.

I'm still alive - just spending time with my wife and daughter :-)

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:27 pm

well the sword will be more part of the costume moreso than something i'd use on the field, i'm not thinking of ordering one in the very near future, but i do need to know which direction to go in terms of swords, i am also looking out for polearms - posh ones like poleaxes, glaives or an ahlspeiss - again information and advice at the moment.
ultimately what i intend to do is a man at arms impression - i have a nice "fitted" padded jack and plakart, but i be after the sallet i asked for advice about (the thread called - advice on kettle hat), a short sleeved maille shirt and standard, arm harness and gauntlets...with a tabard my group can provide
my civilian clothing is sorted, just luxuries on the shopping list now.
from what i gather though (back to swords now) it's worth saving up and getting the more expensive, i've seen a heron armouries messer that was being sold by phil fraser at colchester....drooled over it - but i am poor, so i then considered the possability of kovex etc

phil ainsley

Postby phil ainsley » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:45 pm

our group has had kovex, armour class and heron swords. most of the lads use armour class now, the lifetime guarantee on the blade is worth it. we fight weekly all year round and we have sent 3 armourclass blades back for replacement having had about 4 years use out of them. the only kovex blade in the group wears easily as it is a bit on the soft side. i have a heron blade which i think may be a little too hard as when the blade wears it tends to chip rather than squish if you follow me. however, the blade itself hasnt failed like some of the armour class blades have. the grip on the heron blade is made from O rings of leather, looks pretty but now that one has been lost due to damage i have a slack cross guard. cant comment on any other decent manufacturers as we havent had any of their blades through our hands.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:56 am

Mark Vickers - St George's Armoury, excellent blades and not too far from real weight, he sells sharps and reenactment b;unts, real works of art, great value.

http://www.stgeorgearmouryshop.co.uk/index2.html

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:50 pm

when i've got the cash i was thinking he could do my arm harness and helmet....his swords are nice!

Edmund the Marshal

Postby Edmund the Marshal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:09 am

When you are starting out always lots of things on the wish list. Most of our new members start out with eastern European swords. But we try to get the new guys to buy a good pair of fitted gantlets, boots and helm before getting weapons as most of us have more than one sword.

Apart from the first few years of re-enacting I’ve used Lancaster’s the are not cheap and can be heaver then some makers, but they last my 2-hander is 16 years old and will last for another 16 years. As a group do 30 training sessions over winter and then 12 shows per year, I’ve seen every sword makers blades break listed so far apart from Mark Vickers blades.

If you are thinking of going to be doing combat for a long period of time longevity is what you need and Roger will always have a look at any blade of his regardless of the age. He sorted my brothers hand a half and that was nearly 17 years old.

http://www.lancasters-armourie.co.uk/

That which does not kill us makes us stronger
Friedrich Nietzsche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rw5T00TbDA

http://www.swordsofchivalry.co.uk

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 pm

I've been lucky enough to have had a chance to swing some real mediaeval blades at Wallace Collection (borrowed from Ewart Oakeshott for the occasion). Ever since, I have wanted one of Mark Vicker's. They feel right in a way none of the others manage to my mind. I don't do much fighting with my swords anymore - bus pass due the end of this week for one thing - but may still get one sometime purely for posing purposes as they also look spot on and I suspect I would never have fought one if I owned it in case of spoling it's beauty!

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:41 pm

hmmm i'm getting some pretty good ideas now - thanks guys!

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 pm

The second blunt I ever bought is a Kasto. It is okay, but nothing really matching the originals. They are a lot of manufacturers with better quality - both for authentic looks as well as for training. The steel is to soft, most of the models I had in hands were unbalanced, and they are not authentic.

I HATE, HATE, HATE Kovex. I find them ugly and very unbalanced. Those slo's have "I was a railway track" written all over it.

Mark Vickers has been mentioned.
I personally like the look and feel of Pavel Moc http://www.swords.cz/enindex.html or Radek Lobko http://www.swordcutler.com/index_en.php if it's about a tighter budget.
But there should be quite some more already mentioned in various threads.
Whatever, please stay away from Kasto and avoid Kovex as the devil avoids holy water!

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

there some nice ones there - i like the talhoffer! i think - with the advice i have recieved, i shall stay away from kovex and kasto!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 pm

Mark every time I love his work its jsut a bit too light for me personally

I also dont like Kovex and am planning a trip over to prague to look at others soon

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Hard to go wrong with a good Paul Binns sword too, folks in my group either seem to use Armourclass or Binnsys. www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk

Assistant Battle Director
Carrick 800 Battle Re-enactment Society

Return to “1100-1500”