ailettes

Moderator: Moderators

duster

ailettes

Post by duster »

hello all , i have a question on ailettes (sorry if this has been discussed before) are they defensive in nature as i believe, or purely a heraldic device as i read somewhere that some worn in tournements were made of parchment, also how do they attach to the maille many thanks..steve
to the regiment!....i wish i was there.

KeithFarrell

Re: ailettes

Post by KeithFarrell »

Edge&Paddock wrote:Finally, mention must be made of ailettes. These were flat, disc-, square- or diamond-shaped plates which were strapped to the point of the shoulder. They were made of parchment or leather and bore the coat of arms of the wearer. It has been suggested that these served as an additional defence to protect the neck from a sideways cut, but they were too flimsy for this. They seem simply to have been designed to allow the wearer to be recognised from the side.
Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight, David Edge and Miles Paddock, Crescent Books, 1988, page 59.

This is one of the most up to date resources I have available, although it is about as old as I am! The book is very comprehensive, and still fairly well recognised for its content I believe. Hopefully this answer is helpful for you.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

The ones on the sides of the shoulders are not really defensive. They would just get knocked out of the way against a cut to the neck. If you wanted something defensive then they would be bigger and lie flatter against the mail or be on the neck itself. They are on the wrong part of the shoulder to add much protection anyway- on a big muscle with a gambeson and mail on top. I would be more interested in protection to the front of the joint where it joins the chest (where they stick those round steel disks in the 14th century).

I have holes in mine and they are tied straight on to the mail.

duster

Post by duster »

thank you both for your replies, as always sound advice from the people on this site. well there goes my defensive theory lol.
to the regiment!....i wish i was there.