looking for plate legs

Moderator: Moderators

cloudy-cola-corp

looking for plate legs

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I've been thinking about buying some 15th century plate legs for this year but im not sure who is best to buy from,
I know the Lancaster armouries makes them and thats they are very high standard but I also know that A.S.H makes high quality armour aswell however i am not sure what A.S.H would charge for them so i was just wondering if anyone knew what price i would be looking at if i went to A.S.H or if anyones would recommend another company for a price around £250 give or take (they are for full contact battles)
Last edited by cloudy-cola-corp on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Re: looking for plate legs

Postby Merlon. » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I believe you turned sixteen in November, would be it not be a good idea to wait until you have finished growing before buying plate armour?

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:00 pm

yes that's correct and it is the biggest dilema i face because i have still got a little bit of growing to do but i don't want to carry on as i do now and come home with my legs covered in grazes and bruises (which i know are unavoidable in a hobby like this) because we've been training in kit with bills and i have enough pretection for my top half but nothing for my legs which is where i am hit most and im just wondering if it would be a suitable idea to get platelegs with say an inch/ inch and a half of growth in them or to just get some thick padded legs and buy a pair of knee cops and to be honest that is probably cheaper as i have been looking at a new sword ( because i can't afford to buy full legs and a sword :( )

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:25 pm

If you must get from either of those armourers, go with ASH. If you really want something to protect your legs before you're fully grown, maybe get some archers poleyns as seen here:

http://www.stgeorgearmouryshop.co.uk/62201.html

Talk to a few armourers and see how much they would make something similar for you. Then when you've done your growing, and have enough money get a top notch armourer to make you full legs.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:47 am

hmmm if your on a budget and your worried about growing out of your leg harness and you want full legs go to
http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/i ... path=35_42 ....you'll be able to afford your sword aswell :wink:
you may also find yourself with a changed mind at some point, you may end up not wanting to wear a leg harness, you may find it uncomfortable or something and if you've spent many hundreds of pounds...you may regret it - i'm just suggesting a possable eventuallity, i'm new to medieval and am getting all my kit together, i jumped in wanting to buy loads of armour and stuff, i wish i had'nt (bought some right crap!) so now i'm just getting my costume kit as quility as i can get it as i know thats what i'll be spending most of my time wearing...but then again if you know a leg harness is definately for you right now and you want top quality your on the right track!

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 am

i think those legs will be to big for me because they say will fit an average build of 5 feet 10inch to 6 feet 2 and i am only 5 foot 7 :( so i think i'll try and send ASH. an email about something similar to those archers polyens

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:43 pm

i do apologise i forgot they were one size, ASH armour does look very good - i saw hs brigandine at tewksbury last year, still think about it....

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:19 pm

yes their stuff is good :) I walked past his stall at the fair in coventry in october and i could just spend a fortune on some of the stuff they've made

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:44 pm

if i were i rich man dub a dub a dub adub adum i'd buy all the armour in the land...if i were a wealthy man....

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:34 am

If I were a rich man

dubby dubby dumm

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 am

i don't really need a house....or food to eat.....1 gothic harness please, i think today i shall have a faithfull copy of the armour worn by emperor sigismund please!
i hear is stuffs really good, never seen any in person though

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 am

i wish..... if i was a rich man i've only seen a few bits of their armour in person but all the people i know who've got it say it's good stuff

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi,
St. George Armoury is definitely a bargain, I own a bevor, vambraces, spaulders and half-mittens myself and had the possibility to check other examples of his work (breastplate geman style, full harness milanese style): excellent bargain, in fact I haven't seen anything better "off-the-peg" than St. George Armoury. Especially the archers poleyn's seem reasonable for your purpose.

If you're on a tight budget, you might as well want to check some providers from east-european countries. Even with the shipping coosts, some of them might be a true bargain.
For example: http://www.armorymarek.com/ I bought these for something around 520,- EUR: http://www.armorymarek.com/public/default/userfiles/image/legs/l20.jpg and I have handled some other stuff they made. It's rather "munition style", i.e. not what I would use for portraying a noble; there are flaws concerning the "a"-factor in construction.
But it's absolutely efficient for a bit heavier combat training/bouts and it looks okay.
Thisd guy makes nice armour for an astounding price: http://www.jazwiec.pl/main.php?lang=eng&cont=kramy/radekkram/radekkram No english website, but he speaks and writes fluent english.
I have seen his work on quite some occasions, it's good and pricey (1 PLN = 0,22 GBP).
A bit difficult to get in contact, try a couple of times.

So far for your question, now the annoying advice:
Don't spent the money on cheap plate armour now.

You'll have to resell the stuff in at least 2 years from now on, just because your're still growing and it win't fit any longer.
Apart froim that, there is a simple reason for the higher prices: they actually are worth it because good armour is handmade to your measures. All that cheaper stuff you can buy in online shops will NEVER fit as good as handmade armour made with specifications.
And trust me, you'll want armour that fits exactly.
Due to your budget problems and the fact that you're still growing, how about trying something different. How about trying to make padded garment - maybe a sort of plinted armpour - for protecting upper thighs and knees? You can do it yourself with a small amount of money and it'll be working properly.

If you're really in danger of getting injured even with protective gear like that, there should be another question: are you really supposed to do this?
I've been doing HEMA for quite a while and it has nothing to do with the ordinary reenactment-battle, where headshits and thrusts (to name the most obvious) are not alowed. But even for bouts with blunt steel in harness, there must be some restrictions for safety reasons. If it's reaally about forceful strikes - if not to say heavy bashing - with bills I'm rather unwilling to give you any further advice as it seems to be a rather idiotic approach. There are way better possibilities to ease testosterone-overload...

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:02 pm

I know I'm going to get shouted at, but that stuff (I hesitate to grace it with the term 'armour') at re-enactment supplies is pretty shoddy. For just a bit more you can do a whole heap better. Its lopsided for one thing!

The other traders/makers mentioned are a good bet. Buy decent armour and even if you grow out of it, as long as you have cared for it, it will retain its value more than the cheap stuff.

Griff

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:38 pm

I have no intetion to shout at you your entitled to an opinion :) I've spoken to ASH. a few days ago via email and we're going to try and sort something out at TORM in march but he also said that if i grew out of it he could potentialy ajust or part exchange it when/if i grew out of it.

Cloudy-Cola-CorP

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm

jobs a good-un then!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:31 pm

As for the shouted at part i have noticed that on this forum if you voice an idea admiting that you are no expert but asking if that sort of thing was done then there can be alot of very helpfull people but also there seems to always be some of the NO YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!!!! style replys mabey it is just me (sorry for the off subject comment)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm

That problem is caused by posting on a forum along with other humans. Recipe for disaster. Or maybe not, opinions differ.

The worst thing to do is ask 2 horse people for an opinion, you'll get at least 6. Plus a vehement rebuttal of advice not even given.

CraigofYork

Postby CraigofYork » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 pm

i think the fact that it's difficult to gage the tone in which people wright makes for a few missunderstandings, you can't tell if someones being sarcasting - or patronising...can you now? ........see!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm

We do try and keep it nice but I often find myself in the awkward position of offering not just a personal opinion, but a professional one as well. Doesn't make it any more right or wrong of course but if I take the stance that I'll give anyone posting the same advice that I'd give a client (major museums and heritage bodies worldwide for just 2) then it can be a bit unpalatable for some. It very often boils down to info the poster doesn't give. What do you want x for and how much are you willing to spend? Its a frustrating hobby as people ALWAYS (with a teency tiny minority) want more than they can afford. I'm in the same boat too...

Ho hum!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:29 pm

"The worst thing to do is ask 2 horse people for an opinion, you'll get at least 6. Plus a vehement rebuttal of advice not even given."

And then a splinter group forms, usual stuff.

Second Ash, St Geo. add Matt Black.

I am so glad that there are some really good armourers out there, nice that not all are old, a new gen like Ash and Matt are what is needed to keep the quality up and the competition fresh.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:33 pm

yep, and the eastern european chaps are coming, plus the many 'unknown' american, who are excellent.

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I did say it might just be me seeing things like that. but i think the main problem we face in this is that we have so many people all of who have vairied knowlage from people like me who know a bit from talking to other re enactors and reading all the way to people who have spent many years in very high places researching the subject and because of how incomplete our knowlage (not saying that to downgrade anyone just as a fact that there is alot we will probably never know) of the subject as a whole is as we can only learn so much from what we can recover from the time.ll always be lots of opinions on anything.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 pm

true. But there is a lot that's wrong that we know is wrong. Its just finding a tactful way to put it.....

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm

So most actual recommendations based on trust are made offline to protect the friends of friends etc.

Cynically put, you will only get so much of an honest answer in public.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 pm

My recomended armourers include:
ASH
Aplaisance
St George
Matt Black
Ryal Armouries
White Rose

I'm not certain about Plessis, but I do get a good feeling about them.

Lancasters have a good reputation for durability, but they are a bit of a 'one size fits all' approach, so aren't that authentic in shape (all the above do custom fit, which given a completely different shape).

The problem that you've got with the guys listed at the top is that they're making it to fit you. This means that is is more expensive and of you grow, then it won't fit you anymore!

Have you considered second hand stuff (See the buy-and-sell forum).

The cheapest option of course is practice lots and learn to stop them hitting you!

Good luck Cloudy!

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Lindsay

Postby Lindsay » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 am

With the Eastern Europeans coming through at the moment I'd recommend Stanislav Prosek
http://zbroje.mac-armour.cz/gallery.html
He made me the rather nice black burgonet shown in the 17thC gallery. Good Price and was delivered bang on time.

Historians did it in the past.

Founder of SAG:
The breakaway Society for the Appreciation of Guthrie.

matlot

Postby matlot » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm

there is also fred at http://www.ryallarmouries.co.uk/
hes very good

Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum

Catapultam habeo. isi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

a savile a savile

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:01 pm

I know this may be an annoying response, but do you really want leg harness?

I've been doing bill for about 13 years or so now, and I bought leg harness some years back - I never use it for general reenactment stuff. I've had a few knocks on the shinbone which were a bit painfull, but nothing serious. I have thought of wearing some football, hockey, or martial arts shinpads and getting some hose made which fit over them without showing. Plate legs are heavy, take up baggage space, and (IMHO) you need quite a few hundred quid to get ones that look right and work right.

They aren't needed for reasons of authenticity, not everyone on the medeival battlefield had them. I'd look at spending hte money on upgrading the stuff you do need, the helmet, soft kit,shoes, jack and gloves, and do without plate legs till you are feeling rich.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:07 pm

If you're seriously concerned about a disabling knock to the knee (and accidents do happen) then an inexpensive set of knee cops would be a good compromise until you have all the kit (and the cash!) to warrant a good set of plate. Otherwise I concur what Dave B said and add that it's the last piece of harness you will probably need, illustrations often show men in half harness (sallet, bevoir, arms, back and breast) but there aren't many that show men wearing just the plate leg armour and those that are are usually interpreted as having some form of fabric covered body armour that the artist didn't represent fully or are wearing a short gown or livery coat of some sort over plate defence.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Return to “1100-1500”