Helmhauben

Moderator: Moderators

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Helmhauben

Post by Merlon. »

Whilst in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna I found these helmhauben or helmet covers circa 1484 from Innsbruck. Thought people might be interested in seeing them.
Apologies for the quality of the pictures, my camera is not the worlds best.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Re: Helmhauben

Post by Fox »

8-)

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

nice pics there Paul thanks

they really look like somethign I have seen described as a 16th century helmet liner
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

My first thought it that they look something for inside rather than outside a helmet.

But then I assumed that the size would give that away.

Am I misunderstanding the phrase "helmet cover" [or is it possibly a mistranslation]?

Edmund the Marshal

Post by Edmund the Marshal »

It looks like a liner to me, but it could be a cover/padding for a basinet helm before you put a frog mouth helm over the top for the joust?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

I confered and the management thinks they look like armet liners pretty much like the one in embeltons book
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

narvek

Post by narvek »

Nigel wrote:I confered and the management thinks they look like armet liners pretty much like the one in embeltons book
Agree.
Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Helmet cover was what, the museum guide tranlated it as, but definately for under the helmet than over it.
Hearing would be all to pot though, guide did not know if they were intended for jousting or combat.

Matt Easton

Post by Matt Easton »

I know these liners rather well - they are to be worn inside jousting helms. As I remember they are from the end of the 15thC. The giveaway is that they are placed next to the jousting helms in the cabinet ;).

Matt

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Merlon. wrote:Helmet cover was what, the museum guide tranlated it as, but definately for under the helmet than over it.
Hearing would be all to pot though, guide did not know if they were intended for jousting or combat.

Thanks Paul its ncie to see extant stuff of course what we want are about 3 cases of jacks :D and an arming doublet or ten

SirRustbucket

Post by SirRustbucket »

My two pence worth:

'Helmhaube' literally translates to 'helmet-coif' or possibly 'helmet-cap'. Without looking at the pictures, the word along would suggest they go inside your tin hat.
The Thrifty Knight blog:

http://thriftyknight.blogspot.co.uk