Where to buy a decent polearm

Moderator: Moderators

seesinsilhouette

Where to buy a decent polearm

Postby seesinsilhouette » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi can anyone suggest a supplier of good quality polearms? Most that I've seen available online I wouldn't risk taking onto the field, even after blunting the sharp areas.

I've seen heads available without shaft ( I presume for ease of shipping). If I were to follow this route where could I source a shaft?

Finally for a 15th C commoner, are there any types of pole arm to avoid as being above my status?

Thanks
Last edited by Alice the Huswyf on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title amended before transfer to 1100-1500

paul bennett

Re: Where to buy a decent polearm

Postby paul bennett » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:33 pm

I can provide shafts

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Andy Kirkham for heads- you'll have to find him in the real world tho' as he doesn't do computers. Search this site for a phone number.

You can't go wrong with a simple bill-head as it covers a large timeframe and was fairly common.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

seesinsilhouette

Postby seesinsilhouette » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:51 pm

thanks chaps. i shall try and contact andy once ive found a suitable design and then will send you a message paul

best wishes

michael

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

I don't know who made my halberd but its still servicable after five years or so, I picked it up at the old Berkley Skirmish and the fella still sells them and I think he'll be at Bosworth this weekend.
Halberds are abit alien (but then I portray an alien) and late for WOTR, glaives and spears all cross boundries of class, bills are a bit common, pollaxes a bit posh, awl spikes, bardiche a bit weird and just for that numpty I keep seeing this year with a daneaxe thats really, really old (even for the backwaters of Europe).

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 am

a full daneaxe is perhaps pushing the realms of believability somewhat even for someone born a little south of the Wall. But if I remember rightly axes were used on the field by a certain member of a certain family :wink:

But hey, if that person has the nerve & the confidence to carry a daneaxe & put up with all the ribbing I'm sure he's had, then why not.

But getting back onto topic

Yep that guy that always sells the shafts & polearms on the rack at most gigs produces some quite serviceable polearms. my Halberd has served me well enough. Though must say I've been borrowing poleaxes of late.

Must sort one of my own. :angel: :D

Brand

Postby Brand » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:12 pm

For a common soldier buy an old solid slasher head (bilhook with long cocket), gind the blade to 3mm thick and smooth, attach to a good pole- ta-dah a really great looking bill.

Better yet get a blacksmith to add a front and back spike!

OR/
If your at Hestmonceux see Les Nash- he's been making some nice sword glaives lately and his laminated poles are tougher than anything else!

KedlestonCraig

Postby KedlestonCraig » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 am

Sir Thomas Hylton wrote:
Yep that guy that always sells the shafts & polearms on the rack at most gigs produces some quite serviceable polearms. my Halberd has served me well enough. Though must say I've been borrowing poleaxes of late.

Must sort one of my own. :angel: :D

I got a bill from him at Tewks last year - somone stood on the head during the battle and it bent.

This season, the head is no no longer attachd to the shaft after a moderator on this 'ere forum knocked it off :roll:

I'm still alive - just spending time with my wife and daughter :-)

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

KedlestonCraig wrote:I got a bill from him at Tewks last year - somone stood on the head during the battle and it bent.

This season, the head is no no longer attachd to the shaft after a moderator on this 'ere forum knocked it off :roll:

And you just HAD to buy that lovely shiny glaive to replace it, heartbreaking....

:devil:

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Just try and get one thats forged and not slab and socket would be my only advice. Slab and socket is like cotton shirts and chrome tan leather, nearly right but a moden way of getting there

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Re: WANTED: Where to buy a decent polearm

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:19 pm

<MODERATOR> Answer given are too useful to leave fro binning so I'm moving this to Period Specific 1100-1500 where more handy boy-tin-chat can take place

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:09 pm

I think that the trader is Tony, of Celtic Moon. His blades tend to be good, I've had a spear and glaive from him which are both still going strong years on.
As far as man-at-arms goes, either a straightforward spear or something which could concievably have been an agricultural implement would fit the bill (pun!).

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

seesinsilhouette

Postby seesinsilhouette » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks for the help one and all!

I finally found what i was after and picked up a bill from Tony watts (the trader who was mentioned earlier in this thread) last week and it looks great.

hopefully will get to try it out in training soon!

Return to “1100-1500”