Bridport muster and others

Moderator: Moderators

Clarenceboy

Bridport muster and others

Postby Clarenceboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Just wondering if anyone know where there might be a link to any images or the document or any other muster roll documents from the time?

Google isnt helping and the british museum doesnt seem to have them online either, anyone know a source thats accessable and free?

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Re: Bridport muster and others

Postby Fox » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:36 pm

David Key is our local expert. He's hardly ever on here anymore, but he might respond to a PM.
Alternative Mr. G23b might know how to reach him.

behanner

Postby behanner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:45 am

I believe it has been published twice, plus Dave has a photocopy or scan of the original and I believe made his own transcription or atleast notes on where he believes the others are wrong, he holds that structures in the original but not in the published versions are important.

The musters of 1457 was a national muster in preparations for the plans to invade France put forward in Parliament in 1453. There have been one or two other published musters from the general muster in 1457, I think Nottingham. None of them are as detailed in regards to equiptment as Bridport. Coventry did a similar muster of its own to ensure everyone was propperly equipted earlier in the decade.
I have no idea why you would look at the British Museum, I believe the extant ones are in regional/local archives but since it was a national muster so it is possible that there are bits of it in the national archives that are simply mixed up with other things and haven't been noticed.

Allan Harley

Postby Allan Harley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 am

Jack - have got a copy of the Bridport roll somewhere - will try and dig out and bring to Bosworth if you want

Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Cheers Allan, that would be great

Benhanner: had a look on the british museum web site as they have online coppies of a lot of documents and thought they may have had it electronicially if not physicially

behanner

Postby behanner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 pm

CB I couldn't find any place on the British Museum website that would contain that kinda thing. Next time try the British Library or the National Archives. Also Google books. And for this one you might try the Royal armouries website as they published it.
The Bridport muster roll of 1457. Royal Armouries Yearbook 2, 46-52

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 am

Jack -I've also got a copy somewhere, but if you wanted your own you could do worse than talk direct to the Royal Armouries Library. Stuart Ivison (who posts on this forum) is an assistant librarian there and he may be able to get you a photocopy.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

The_Kyle

Postby The_Kyle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:13 pm

I believe Volume 2 of the Royal Armouries Yearbook has a reprinted version.

behanner

Postby behanner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:26 pm

It was Norwich not Nottingham.

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks eveyone for the offers of help, if I can't get hold of a free copy then I'll pick up a copy of the Armouries year book, looks like £15 from their online shop

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

I've got a copy it cost me £5 from Dorset County Record Office best £5 I ever spent

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

behanner

Postby behanner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Ben Rodgers wrote:I've got a copy it cost me £5 from Dorset County Record Office best £5 I ever spent

Copy of the original or a published edition.

Ben Rodgers

Postby Ben Rodgers » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:27 am

Copy of the orginal just go on the dorset County Record Office website and email them they send you a payment form enclose £5 and you have your very own copy of the orginal muster roll

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.

Return to “1100-1500”