aventail

Moderator: Moderators

duster

aventail

Post by duster »

hello all , i need some help and i think you guys are the experts. how does an aventail attach to a basinet. ive looked every where i can think of and am still none the wiser. is the mail permanently attached as some articles suggest or is it removeable and held on by a leather thong as another source tells me ? close up photos or detaled drawings would be brilliant , also is an aventail the same thing as a camaile? i want to attach the aventail to a pig faced bascinet. thanks for reading.
to the regiment!....i wish i was there.

Stuart Quayle

Re: aventail

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Hi Duster

If you are looking to fix an Aventail/camail (same thing really) to an early 14th century Bascinet e.g. the fluted Cervelliere/bascinet of Sir John d'Abernon circa 1340 or Sir John d'Creke's bascinet circa 1325 - then it is thought that the maille drape was simply riveted all around the sides and back of the bascinet, to the inside edge of the helmet.

If however, you are looking to attach an aventail to a mid to late 14th century/early 15th century bascinet (which a Houndskull falls into the catagory of, being around 1370 - 1420), you first stitch the maille drape to a sturdy leather strip using strong twine and attach that leather strip to the bascinet by threading the pre-punctured strip over a series of small posts which run around the outside edge of the helmet.

These steel posts are called Vervailles and themselves having a hole drilled through the middle of them, allowing a leather thong to be passed through each post, which secures the leather strip in place on the bascinet when the leather thong is tied at the end.

I hope that helps you.

Regards
Stuart Q
Last edited by Stuart Quayle on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stuart Quayle

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Here is a pic of my Klappvisor bascinet, a style of bascinet popular - especially with the Germans around 1360 - 1400. The helmet is fitted with a full, padded internal hood which not only cushions the wearer's head but allows the maille drape to hang correctly.

The padded cotton hood is stitched into pre-drilled holes around the edge of the helmet and then stitched at various points to the maille drape and lower edge of the drape to secure them both together.

In this case, "tubed vervailles" rather than posts are being used to secure the leather strip and the leather thong is big enough not to have to be tied shut at the end.
Attachments
Klappvisor bascinet.jpg
Klappvisor bascinet.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 5597 times

wyldstallions

Post by wyldstallions »

Hi Stuart

do you mind if I ask where you got tubed vervailes from or how you made them. I'm just about to try and attach my aventail to a basinet I've made at the moment I have some vervailes from white rose but they just keep bending every time I try to peen them over even when I put them in a little hole so they can't twist.

Stuart Quayle

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Hi Wyldstallions

Congrats on constructing your own bascinet, that is way out of my league - my Klappvisor bascinet came from Alexander, a very talented Ukranian armourer.

It is hard to see exactly how the tube vervailles are attached to the side of the helmet as the fitted internal hood is in the way but, they are not welded in place. But that would certainly be one solution to the problem.

My best guess would be - you get a thinnish gauge, 1/2 inch wide stripe of steel, bend it around a mandrel to create the 'tube', the tube terminates in a short flat strip of metal, which is then fed through a (letterbox) type slit cut into the side of the bascinet, the end of the vervaille is then hammered over tightly inside the helmet to keep it in place.

Hope that helps you.

Laffin Jon Terris

Post by Laffin Jon Terris »

Wyldstallions, have you tried using a rod inside the tube verveille to stop it from crushing as you peen the arms over inside the helmet?

Show us some pictures!

JonT
Knowing is only half the battle.

wyldstallions

Post by wyldstallions »

it isn't crushing it's bending where it joins on the shank so not really sure what to do with that, I wish it was crushing putting a rod in would be much easier.

Thanks for the info Stuart, It's no to bad making one until the start planishing I think I IQ must of halved by the time I'd finished was so mind numbing.

Stuart Quayle

Post by Stuart Quayle »

Hi Wyldstallions

I contacted the armourer - Alexander and asked him how the vervailles on my bascinet were attached. He said he had attached them just in the way I had guess, but the two flattened ends of the vervaille were welded inside the helmet, after being hammered over.

Here is Alexander's website, he trades as Jollyknight, you may be able to buy some more tube vervailles from him:
http://www.jollyknight.com.ua

Regards
Stuart Q

wyldstallions

Post by wyldstallions »

Thank's Stuart you didn't need to do that but thanks a lot though, Think I may owe you a drink if i ever meet you at a gig. I thought the flattened end may need a little more strength once they were bend over so welding them makes sense. cheers for the website as well. :D

saxon

Post by saxon »

Use flat head steel or brass rivets and drill the lace (or wire) hole in them. Drill the hole just far enough along to give you enough room for the leather strip and also the threading material - again either wire or lace. They don't twist or turn once the leather of the aventail is fitted over them and especially even less when threaded, dead easy ... done loads of 'em

Dependant on whether you are stitching the aventail to the leather or 'linking' it through punched holes, if stitching then obviously the whole thing needs attaching in one, but if linking through holes you can add the leather strip first and secure it to the staples - or vervelles - and then just link the aventail to it, depends how you want to go about it.
Attachments
Pig-faced_bascinet.jpg

duster

Post by duster »

thanks again all, will give it my best shot,
to the regiment!....i wish i was there.

Matt Easton

Post by Matt Easton »

As mentioned above, the fabric underneath is really important, not only to keep the shape of the aventail in use and prevent it getting in a tangle, but also for defence - the mail alone providing very little protection from a thrust, but a lot of protection when over the top of a padded layer. This padded hood underneath is shown very clearly in the bascinet on the effigy of the Duke of Burgundy in the Musee des Beaus Arts in Dijon.

Matt